• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan or Gardner landing net handle

landing net handle

Hi Justin,
Was a more prolific poster back in the old days but just looked in and will add my experience. I bought a Drennen ss back in 2005ish. Still looks like new and l love the feel although I do look after my gear. However it is now time to strip and service the bush. Mine can be a bit stiff in cold weather and can feel a little loose at full extension. At present it won't lock well but I last serviced 5 years ago. May give Drennen a call they are normally very good on service.and parts. I may be able to find a spare bush they sent me some time back. Either way a good piece of kit that even someone as diy challenged as myself can sort if needed.

Ps was delighted to see Andy sorting unpleasant people out quickly.

Hi Justin i can only recommend a drennan speci lock ive used it for the last 8yrs and had no problem with it.

Hello Justin,

I cannot speak for the Drennan handle as I have never used one, however I have owned and used the Gardner handle for a few years now and it has been very good and is rather stout, it could perhaps be a little lighter in my opinion, but that is only a minor negative.

tried the gardner handle and the trefor west, west beats it on robustness, gardner wins on all round use.

Can't comment on other landing net handles as the Drennan has served me well for a number of years now, despite its minor failings.

Very early on I found that if I extended it too far ( 2 - 3 feet ) in one go it wouldn't lock. This was overcome by closing it up and extending & locking it 6 or so inches at a time. Sorted.
This week it finally gave up completely. I've had it apart and cleaned the thread with a stiff brush. Then I slid a float cap over the slim metal part up to the thread, screwed the widget up half way and jobs a goodun.

Got a fairly new extendable Gardner handle with locking problems.
E mailed Gardner on Monday....and guess what.......
Nothing ! not even a acknowledgement ??:mad:

Also have a Dinsmore net arms fail , e mailed them on the same day and guess what......
Replacements are on there way.:p

Nice one Dinsmore.

Received parcel from Dinsmore today.
Sent complete new net and arms with spreader block,,wow !
Okay arm should not have broken , but not the most expensive net and have to say it works really well for me,easy to ass/diss-assemble.
Thanks for great service Dinsmore.

As for my Gardner extendable net handle,sent another email as had no word what so ever from them after a week.
Any one had positive experience or otherwise with Gardner ?

Stick with Drennan I say :(

Never had to use it but from what I see on other forums Gardner's after sales seems to be up there with the best. If you go on the Anglers Forum and contact a gent who uses the username of 'Klewless', I believe you will find that he works for them and has resolved issues in the past.
No probs at all with my Gardner handle so you might just have a rogue on your hands.

£27 that was mega cheap. Where from? Lol.

just want to say I dont post much and looking at thus thread it spells out why. If everybody used the search facility to look on the forum there wouldn't be any new forum msgs so end of the forum. Its fishing after all so not that many changes to keep discussing new items only.
also why spend the time to comment but say nothing except moan seemingly just for the sake of it!!

£27 that was mega cheap. Where from? Lol.

just want to say I dont post much and looking at thus thread it spells out why. If everybody used the search facility to look on the forum there wouldn't be any new forum msgs so end of the forum. Its fishing after all so not that many changes to keep discussing new items only.
also why spend the time to comment but say nothing except moan seemingly just for the sake of it!!

Back