• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Acolyte Specimen Rod

The biggest problem when a bunch of anglers talk about balance is that we all have quite different notions of what "good" or "perfect" balance might be. I can say that in all of the many float rods I've had through my hands, not one has been made to balance at the reel stem. That includes 9/10' rods and the addition of the heaviest reels I can lay my hands on (that you'd reasonably expect to use on a float rod). Even with a reel close to 400g strapped to them, two different 10' float rods (I have to hand) balance about 3" above the reel stem.

For those wishing to experiment with adding butt weights, I'd urge caution. Don't do anything irreversible (flat lead strips wrapped around the butt work well when experimenting) to start with and don't even attempt to try for a reel stem balance point. That goes double for a balance point further down the handle. A balance point too far back results in a rod that feels rather vague and "wafty", for want of a better word. It can also result in a horrible double bounce, which often leads to hooks being bounced out on the strike.

Then once she had a few mention the lacking reel scenario….guarantee you’ll get the nod to buy whatever you want!!

Preferably a nice centrepin... got to be worth a second bottle of Prosecco.

These tactics would never work for me, been married too long. She knows all my little tricks and only falls for one when she needs me to agree to something she wants 😂.
It's called "married bliss".

@Richard Isaacs - are they better than the Conny XP's??
You referring to the previous models Z and G? It’s a matter of personal preference really as these were excellent.

On paper yes the acolyte Is almost certainly. Lighter, stronger, faster recovery

The top end connys had way better handles, reel seats and high stand off Fuji guides.

Both brilliant but the conny isn’t an option anymore unless you find one pre owned

The wife today ordered me a 14ft acolyte specimen ,can anyone suggest an appropriate reel and line ?
I have mine matched to a Preston Centris 320 or 420 (same reels slightly bigger spool on the 420). NT (old version) has conventional drag; SD (has a speed drag) and a folding handle. I've not had any barbel on the float with them, but numerous chub in the 5-6lb range, and the Centris works really well for me.

You referring to the previous models Z and G? It’s a matter of personal preference really as these were excellent.

On paper yes the acolyte Is almost certainly. Lighter, stronger, faster recovery

The top end connys had way better handles, reel seats and high stand off Fuji guides.

Both brilliant but the conny isn’t an option anymore unless you find one pre owned
@Richard Isaacs cheers for this- I've got the most recent conny G xp and spectron m2 xp in 14ft - wondered if it was worth an upgrade!!

Back