• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Acolyte plus 13ft....powerful enough for barbel?

I've got one, a superb rod. Got it just after Christmas and it coped admirably with Chub to over 5lb, Perch to 4lb and a few barbel, light enough for Roach and dace sport too. In open water it would cope well for Barbel. Definitely my favourite float rod.
If I was fishing specifically for big barbel in pacey, weedy/ snaggy water I would be using either my Drennan super tench 12'9'' or the Specimen and Tench 13', both have a little more backbone and are rated for heavier hooklinks.
Having said that, if I did hook a big Barbel on the Acolyte I wouldn't be at all worried that it wouldn't cope. For Trotting I'd usually be using 4lb 12oz Reflo Powerline hooklink to start.
On the Tench/ Specimen last year https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywq892ffkwo6yf5/IMG_5459.JPG?dl=0

I've got one, a superb rod. Got it just after Christmas and it coped admirably with Chub to over 5lb, Perch to 4lb and a few barbel, light enough for Roach and dace sport too. In open water it would cope well for Barbel. Definitely my favourite float rod.
If I was fishing specifically for big barbel in pacey, weedy/ snaggy water I would be using either my Drennan super tench 12'9'' or the Specimen and Tench 13', both have a little more backbone and are rated for heavier hooklinks.
Having said that, if I did hook a big Barbel on the Acolyte I wouldn't be at all worried that it wouldn't cope. For Trotting I'd usually be using 4lb 12oz Reflo Powerline hooklink to start.
On the Tench/ Specimen last year https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywq892ffkwo6yf5/IMG_5459.JPG?dl=0

How about with 6lb straight through on the upper lea?;)

I am looking at one of these for there, do you think it would do the job?

You'll be glad to hear I've ordered some hooklink mono to start using there

Graham,
I have a Acolyte Plus 15' which i bought for float fishing in deep deep water for Tench,haven't used it yet but you can run 6lb line through it... so it says !
You can have a waggle with it next time i see you on the bank !
Dave

Good stuff Dave. Make sure your mainline is strong enough.
The Acolyte would be my first choice for general trotting on the Lea fisheries and certainly on the upper stretch where the Barbel are smaller.
If I was fishing one of 'the' swims I'd use the Super Tench or Specimen/Tench with an 6 or 7lb powerline hooklink, otherwise the 0.13mm 4lb 12 oz.

Good stuff Dave. Make sure your mainline is strong enough.
The Acolyte would be my first choice for general trotting on the Lea fisheries and certainly on the upper stretch where the Barbel are smaller.
If I was fishing one of 'the' swims I'd use the Super Tench or Specimen/Tench with an 6 or 7lb powerline hooklink, otherwise the 0.13mm 4lb 12 oz.

cheers

Indeed a very well rated rod of course Graham, but would have liked to have seen an upper recommended bs around the 8lb mark similar to the mk2 tench float or the Hardy for the barbs.
Being a quality rod I suspect it will handle a heavier line with ease without locking up if needs must.
It would be interesting to hear from a few rod builders advising how to navigate the complexities of recc. bs's, tests and power curves plus actions as to how critical they are within obvious margins. Also considering the quality and wrap of the blanks as well.?
Apols for rambling,... too hot to go fishing and I'm getting twitchy!:D

Problem with the tench and specimen rods is they are not designed for long trotting. They will do the job but the Drennan you're talking about has a much better action for trotting, in my humble view. It has more tip than all through.

I have a specimen float rod from Drennan at 12'9'' it does at a pinch work, but it's not an Acolyte. I have the 14' plus Acolyte and it deals with Trent barbel into double figures. Yes, a stronger rod rating would deal with them better, but you lose the finesse you sometimes need with chub, roach, and barbel.

I also have the Daiwa Specton 13'/16' this will stop big fish on 6lb right through and is an ideal big barbel trotting rod. But again you lose a little of the finesse.

Just my honest view owning the rod mentioned. The Drennan A.P is an ideal all round big fish trotting rod, as it can be used for small carp, big roach, bream perch and big chub. If you hook a 15lb barbel and lose it think about all the fun with smaller fish you've had?

Again my view.

Ok. A bit of a mixed review.

Couldn't resist one at £95 new though?:D

I have been fishing a 15fter Map on the Wye...good control but soooo heavy. I suspect the tench rods will be the same to me.

How are you doing with the Marksman Dave?

Just to add, should be fine for most Wye and WAvon fish then and ok for the chub and silvers.

Roach and grayling I'll stick to the IM9 classic.

Ok. A bit of a mixed review.

Couldn't resist one at £95 new though?:D

I have been fishing a 15fter Map on the Wye...good control but soooo heavy. I suspect the tench rods will be the same to me.

How are you doing with the Marksman Dave?

The tench float isn't heavy, you should be fine holding it all day.

Unless you suffer from arthritis in your shoulder like me, which is why I'm looking at as light a rod as possible now

Where on earth did you find a new one for £95 quid?

I thought the mk2 Drennan was heavier than some of my other rods that I used for trotting, ( a bespoke 1 1/4 northwestern kevlar long trotter that I built years ago still is the lightest that I've used) ... but it still did the business given I wasn't using it for what it was designed for.
I sold the mk2 a couple of years ago, not due to the weight,... but because I always thought the bottom eye was too close to cork. It was probably due to a compromise on ring spacing because it was a three piece maybe?
Wish I'd kept it all the same!

Graham,... really like the Hardy mate,... it's appreciatively sensitive but deals with any lunks with ease.
Tight lines

The tench float isn't heavy, you should be fine holding it all day.

Unless you suffer from arthritis in your shoulder like me, which is why I'm looking at as light a rod as possible now

Where on earth did you find a new one for £95 quid?

Dave, if you want lightness then the Acolyte is the one for you, you'd save a lot of weight also, using a light reel. I'm assuming you are using a Sheffield?

From memory
Sheffield 285grams
TFG Freeflow 220grams
TFG Classic 201grams

Currently using a Freeflow, excellent reel.

PM on its way

My son and I have 2 x 14ft Acolyte plus rods. we've had them since the rods came out. Drennan states 6lb line but after talking to Drennan they told me that the rods are happy with 8lb and will not be overloaded. We have one used with 6lb and the other with 8lb both for trotting. As long as you use the reel drag sensible and don't lock it up you will have no problems. Even better with back winding or a pin. We've had Double Barbel, Double Wild Carp, Tench, Chub and a Sea gull.
I mostly use a pin TFG classic, TFG free flow and the other one but forgot it name. None tarts pins but they work well for me

Dave, if you want lightness then the Acolyte is the one for you, you'd save a lot of weight also, using a light reel. I'm assuming you are using a Sheffield?

From memory
Sheffield 285grams
TFG Freeflow 220grams
TFG Classic 201grams

Currently using a Freeflow, excellent reel.

PM on its way

Thanks, I am using a Sheffield. I'll take a look at the TFGs

Definitely up to it.

I've had barbel to 12lb on mine and it still had plenty of power in reserve.

Nice fish playing action and light enough to hold for an age too.

Back