• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Acolyte Plus 10ft Feeder Rod

Stuart Wright

Has anyone got one of these? Or another option from the Acolyte range?

I’m looking at the 10ft option for small, tight rivers, primarily for chub, but also for roach and perch too. The trouble is all of the references to ‘power’ and how suitable it is for bashing outF1s! Makes me worry it might be a bit over-gunned, so was hoping to get some first hand opinions.

If not, any other suggestions?

Hi Stuart,
I have the Acolyte Plus 11ft Feeder rod and have used it a lot but find it too mid-actioned for larger Chub who like to dive under near-side cover and with such a flexible rod you can't bully them out. It is a good rod for smaller chub and roach/perch, but not for 5lb+ chub. Just my personal preference for more of a tip actioned rod. However they are great rods, the float versions are superb. Pete

Been using a 12ft Drennan Matchpro Medium Feeder with glass tips for my winter chubbing for many years. Still love it for smaller rivers. Drennan still sell them which probably says a lot for it. More recently acquired a 10/11ft Carp Feeder Combo for even smaller streams, a little softer but still powerful enough for good chub and fine for smaller species. This rod now discontinued I believe, but I guess you may still find one somewhere. Hope this helps.

ps. the Drennan 10/11ft Carp Feeder Combo rod is one of their Series 7 rods and is, I now notice, still available. Really nice little rod, but I always reach for the Matchpro first if a 12 footer is usable. It really is great rod and a joy to use.

Back