• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dragon Carp centrepin

Have you seen one than Rob? I don't mean the Marco Cortesi but the one in my link, it looks exactly like the okuma Sheffield.

Not seen the one in the link but have seen and used a Marco Cortesi. I can't agree with Rob's assessment as I found it to be a very functional item that looked quite nice too. I happen to know that it's remained that way too, over a year after purchase.

Dave

mark, buy one, use and then review it, if it's &^*&, then stick it on fleabay.

it aint the same pick a okuma pin up then have a little play around with the dragon carp one its proper s**t

Are you referring to the Cortesi, Rob? I happen to own one of the earlier incarnations (Iknonix) and it is good for the price.

As Mark says, the new Dragon Carp model looks like a Sheffield to me as well and, if it's the same manufacturing process, definitely worth the money.

If I get one, Dave, I'll review and feed back. :)

Sorry Rob, my reply overlapped yours. :)

Simon - most 'pins have holes in one side. It's the other side that houses the rachet (etc) that matters.

Sorry Rob, my reply overlapped yours. :)

Simon - most 'pins have holes in one side. It's the other side that houses the rachet (etc) that matters.

Exactly! and by the looks of the pic it has BIG holes in the back, seeing as i trot with a pin in the palm of my hand that is a STUPID idea.

Exactly! and by the looks of the pic it has BIG holes in the back, seeing as i trot with a pin in the palm of my hand that is a STUPID idea.

Yes, if you trot like that I guess it's not the reel for you. I use Fred Crouch Jets, though not for trotting, and as I hold the rod I might gamble of one of these. Which 'pin do you use for trotting?

Yes, if you trot like that I guess it's not the reel for you. I use Fred Crouch Jets, though not for trotting, and as I hold the rod I might gamble of one of these. Which 'pin do you use for trotting?

I was brought up on the old original Leeds 'pins' Richard, no handles, line off the top etc, nowadays, and i'm not sure why, i've gone over to the dark side i.e Wilson Heritage 'pin' complete with line guard, pah !!

It looks like a lovely reel, Simon. I'd probably be more inclined to use a bearing-based reel for trotting.

Mark - yes, after reading Simon's post I noticed the same thing. I reckon Steven Devereux has it about right, though, on FB. Certainly in the low end of the market, at least.

Last edited:
It looks like a lovely reel, Simon. I'd probably be more inclined to use a bearing-based reel for trotting.

Mark - yes, after reading Simon's post I noticed the same thing. I reckon Steven Devereux has it about right, though, on FB. Certainly in the low end of the market, at least.

JW Heritage runs on two ball bearings Richard !

Sorry, Simon, yes I know that. I was just saying I might also use a bearing reel for trotting, though stick with the Jets for legering.

Back