• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

double hair rigs.

Neil Partridge

latley ive been watching thinking tackle on sky & to fair although im not a carp angler i have enjoyed them a lot (except for the amount of time they keep the fish out of the water). anyway they showed a two hair/differant bait hook setup. do you think it would be wise to go for barbel useing it as barbel are a fairly shoaling fish & big carp (i think) are fairly solitary.
i dont want although unlikely two fish on one hook.

Last edited:
Neil,
Cant see a problem with the two bait rig for barbel but do you really need to complicate your rig in that way.
PS. unlucky yesterday for you boys

I think it was Dick Walker that said..double your baits, and double your chances of spooking the fish (well, not quite in those words!)
I'd say, if you aint got confidence in your bait...change it:)

latley ive been watching thinking tackle on sky & to fair although im not a carp angler i have enjoyed them a lot (except for the amount of time they keep the fish out of the water). anyway they showed a two hair/differant bait hook setup. do you think it would be wise to go for barbel as barbel are a fairly shoaling fish & big carp (i think) are fairly solitary.
i dont want although unlikely two fish on one hook.

I haven't seen that programme Neil, but i'm assuming that you are talking of a multiple hair rig where one or two more hairs can be trapped underneath the winds of the knotless knot, with the intention of being able to mount mulitple baits on one hook, and thereby giving the fish something unusual to mouth which it wouldn't see as a danger. Have i got that right ?

Your last sentence though confuses me a bit, as it would be impossible to get one hook, in the mouths of two different fish, i'm assuming you've worded it wrong ??

Ian.

Ian, it was showing a standard hair tied with the hooklink and a second hair tied straight to the bend of the hook so they would sit seperately, the same bait could also be used. The only draw back I would see with Barbel is that as they often grub bait with their mouths rather than sucking it in like a carp, the second bait moving against the outside of their mouth may well spook them.

I have thought about this but the only reason i havent tried it is because i cant see any benefits..What would happen if a wary Barbel just picks up one bait? surely the other bait will make a hook up less likely because the hook is not going to move as freely due to the weight of the other baited hair..Interesting thread Neil will be good to see other peoples comments..

There was an episode of TT on Shed recently from Sky Lakes in France ( apparently ruled by fishing over beds of mixed particles ) where a chap showed a rig with one hair coming off the bend, an artificial bait direct to the hook, then another hair coming off the shank just below the eye. Each hair was baited with a different bait to that already on the shank say- the idea being that those big pressured fish wouldn't be able to decifer which bait it was getting caught on. Interesting.The episode then went on to show a chap absolutely empty the place fishing boilies . . . .
Multiple hairs have been around for a long while now, probably not that popular due to the extra effort required to construct in the first place!
Craig - i understand your concerns about the hooking potential but would argue against a fish being able to pick up just one of the baits used - when they inhale the whole lot is going in!

Neil was it the one with Adam Penning having the session of his life?!

Had me in stitches when Danny is recounting the mid night bream that caused him to fall in while unhooking it! Talk about a man dejected.

Ian, it was showing a standard hair tied with the hooklink and a second hair tied straight to the bend of the hook so they would sit seperately, the same bait could also be used. The only draw back I would see with Barbel is that as they often grub bait with their mouths rather than sucking it in like a carp, the second bait moving against the outside of their mouth may well spook them.

OK, i'm with it now.
Like you say Ian, Carp have a powerful suck, bigger mouths, and the big ones are huge in comparison to a barbels, i agree with you and Craig, it might actually work against you.
Over complications i'm sure have worked against me in the past, and is why i've tried to strip it all away from my fishing, but if you think it's worth a go there's only one way to find out if it's a good method, give it a try it's the only way to be sure, not all experiments prove to be winners, but sometimes you can find a blinder, just by being willing to try. Let us know how you get on if you do, i'd be interested in your results.

Ian.

Nothing new here, I've had barbel on a size 14 starpoint with two hairs baited with three or four grains each of enterprise artificial hemp and a pva bag of hemp soaked in csl nicked on the hook. It works like a charm

This week's AT has a report on a record bream and reminded me of the discussion on this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but the rig has two baits using TWO HOOKS!!! The second smaller hook is hair-rigged to the larger of the two hooks. (I read it in Tesco's so haven't got it here to refer to). Surely this could lead to mouth damage if the fish takes the bait on the lower hook?

Normally the second smaller hook is over filled with bait, so as a hook up is not really possible.

I use a 16 and stick 2 fake maggots and 5 real ones on it, theres no chance of that hooking anything.

Normally the second smaller hook is over filled with bait, so as a hook up is not really possible.

I use a 16 and stick 2 fake maggots and 5 real ones on it, theres no chance of that hooking anything.

Agreed Ash,
I often hair rig a size 14 to a 6, and cram the 14 with maggots 25 is possible if you're carefull, it's an impossibility for a hook up on the 14, once over 20 maggots are on the 14, it's very difficult finding the hook, only by identifying the point with your thumb and then pushing the last maggot up can you create enough space to hook it. 25 is very very difficult.
If you are still not convinced that a hook up is not possible load less maggots, and mask the point completely with a rubber one.

Ian.

Back