• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dorset Stour Upper/Middle

Simon Copleston

Hi all,

I am staying away later on this month north of Blandford Forum and I was wondering what the fishing is like above Blandford on the Dorset Stour. I've had a look at Sturminster and Hinton AA and they sell day and weekly tickets from above Sturminster downstream to Child Okeford.I would imagine that there would not be many if any Barbel this far upstream, but would be OK for Chub, Roach, Perch etc.
Does anyone have advice on this or on any other suggestions for another stretch?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Hi Simon
You are quite correct that the stretch of the Stour above Blandford and around Sturminster Newton is not really noted as a Barbel habitat (but you never know, feedback please).
What it does offer though is some very good Roach, Bream, Dace, Perch and of course Pike fishing with the latter going up to 20lb+.

I'm sure, like myself everyone would be interested to hear how you get on.

Expect Otter activity but don't let it put you off;)

Keith

Hi all,

I am staying away later on this month north of Blandford Forum and I was wondering what the fishing is like above Blandford on the Dorset Stour. I've had a look at Sturminster and Hinton AA and they sell day and weekly tickets from above Sturminster downstream to Child Okeford.I would imagine that there would not be many if any Barbel this far upstream, but would be OK for Chub, Roach, Perch etc.
Does anyone have advice on this or on any other suggestions for another stretch?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

If you check out some Terry Lampard articles that should point you in the right direction.

There are barbel in those stretches but it is much more lightly fished than areas like throop which hold higher concentration of fish, and are advertised a lot more.

Many thanks for the replies Keith and Tony, I'll let you know how I get on. I have had a quick search for Terry Lampard articles but it didn't turn up much Tony, I'll have a good look.

Cheers Simon

Many thanks for the replies Keith and Tony, I'll let you know how I get on. I have had a quick search for Terry Lampard articles but it didn't turn up much Tony, I'll have a good look.

Cheers Simon

There maybe be the odd one in some old CAT magazines, his book is very good if you can get hold of a second hand copy ?

Maybe head to throop if you want a better chance of a fish it's not far, I'm sure however that terry did fish the stour further up for barbel, Avon angling in ringwood might give you some pointers...

Back