• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dog spike

Matthew Thompson

Evening gents, im about to have a knee replacement and fingers crossed i hope to be back on the banks for the new season and i think a dog spike will aid me greatly for scrambling up and down the banks of the ouse, ure and swale, what materials do you fellows use to make a spike, i was imagining a T profile using stainless rod and a dowel type t piece, thanks for any advice, cheers

Evening gents, im about to have a knee replacement and fingers crossed i hope to be back on the banks for the new season and i think a dog spike will aid me greatly for scrambling up and down the banks of the ouse, ure and swale, what materials do you fellows use to make a spike, i was imagining a T profile using stainless rod and a dowel type t piece, thanks for any advice, cheers
stainless steel screwed dog spikes can be bought from pet shops, gun shops etc.
they are a couple of feet long with a t handle and clip for a rope no point in making one

Hi Matthew,
Firstly my best wishes with your op. I’ve had two of the buggers replaced, I can walk now, for miles if needed but before my ops couldn’t walk more than 100 yards before needing to sit. Also was popping painkillers all day. Best two days work I did in getting them done....BUT.....I’m glad I ain’t got three legs 😱🤣🤣 If you want to chat about the procedure don’t hesitate to drop me a PM and I’ll let you have my moby number.
Dog spike.....This is what I use (same as John) but if you’ve got the wear with all to make your own I think your idea will fit the bill.
Regards
Bill

Last edited:
I use this:-

Dog spike.jpg

I've had 3 knee replacements (left twice) and never got rid of the pain in and around my knees, then Dec 19 I had my left hip done and quess what? No pain any more in either leg. Referred pain they called it, but, I never had any pain around my hip :)

Good luck with the op Matthew. Like the others, I purchased mine for a few quid. I think it was one of the cheap shops like Home Bargains. Tie knots in the rope every couple of feet.
Make it the first thing you do when you arrive at your swim.

Thanks for the replies and thoughts gents think ill go down the bought route and thanks bill will pm you today
PM replied Matt.
In addition to a dog spike and rope I also recommend some form of spiked footwear. I’ve a cheap set of crampons bought off eBay which I use on my warmer boots it very wet weather and colder months or I also have a pair of spiked wading boots for other times. Don’t want to slip and cock up the new knee 😳

Back