• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Does this rod exist?

Graham Hunt

I have spent too long trawling the internet and have only ended up confusing myself.

I am looking for a float rod, ideally with the option of 13-15 foot, for using with lines up to at least 8lbs, for trotting with a pin for everything from grayling to (hopefully) barbel, and for float fishing still waters for rudd and tench.

The best option i think i've found is the Drennan floatmaster 13/15 but i'm worried it may be a little undergunned for trotting for barbel.

I'm prepared to pay £200+.

I'm sure this is not a new topic, but i would really welcome feedback - i'm looking to buy Boxing Day :)

Graham,

I would not think such a beast possible, you want a very fine sensitive tip for the likes of grayling, probably handling lines no higher than 8lbs, whereas for Barbel you would want something far more through action allowing you to bring the but into play, this would probably not really be suitable for lines less than 6lb............

You could probbaly get a great float rod for each (i.e. 2 rods) well within your budget though!!

Actually, I think that's exactly he float rod I've got? Except it's 13ft with no "extension" options.

It was built by George Howell (R.I.P.) as a 1.75tc progressive "Power Float" on a Harrison blank. Sensitive enough for roach, grayling etc and strong enough for barbel. I would think if you looked for something similarly based on the Harrison you should be able to find something to suit your needs?

I have a 14 foot Daiwa spectron power that kind of fits the bill Graham, quite tippy, going to parabolic when needed. Reel lines 3 - 10lbs.

Actually, I think that's exactly he float rod I've got? Except it's 13ft with no "extension" options.

It was built by George Howell (R.I.P.) as a 1.75tc progressive "Power Float" on a Harrison blank. Sensitive enough for roach, grayling etc and strong enough for barbel. I would think if you looked for something similarly based on the Harrison you should be able to find something to suit your needs?

Simon,

I think you will actually find that Harrison blanks split it over the GTi Float, GTi Stepped Up Float or GTi SU x 2 Float. To be honest the Standard and Stepped up would cover what is wanted but you'd have to decide a length.............12, 13, 14 or 15ft.

You may know of others though.........

I've been using a Grays G-Tec 13ft Power Float rod for small roach, dace and bigger chub on river. Bream to 7lb on lakes and carp to 12lb+. Think it would handle barbel as well as when I looked at a new rod my friend said it was either Drennan tench rod or one of these.

Isn't there a Carbonactive rod that fits the bill or perhaps someone might have an old Normark that would meet your needs?

PS.Glad to see you're taking the 'challenge' seriously.:D

Graham,
I can't say I've ever seen a dual 13/15' rod in the "power" category. Like Jon suggests, one of the Spectrons in 14' might be a good compromise.
Finally managed to get hold of the Greys Prodigy 13/15' that I've been chasing for a while. I'd not risk much more than six pound main line through that.

Might work out cheaper/better to buy two rods though.
The Greys G-Tec 15' can be picked up for slightly less than £100 as it seems to be being discontinued. It's quite a nice piece of kit that should do what you're asking. (Would have had one myself if Jon hadn't come up with something in sales.;)) That would leave you with another ton to get a 13'er.

Chris

Edit, had a bit of a search and found the Tri-cast Triaxial Power Match in 13/15'. Unfortunately, it lists the max reel line as six pounds, not quite what it says on the tin then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

As i guessed, exactly the right rod probably doesn't exist. I like the look of the Diawa rod Jon, it sounds perfectly versatile in line ratings, but i am concerned that there are times when i would be restricted by 14 ft in tight swims and want an extra foot in others.

I might yet compromise with two - the Greys 15 footer sounds decent....

Decisions, decisons.

Merry Christmas to all :)

Graham, I brought a 13/15 Ron Thompson B52, 2 years ago and its been just the job on both Avon and Severn, not tried trotting in rapid type water, but up to yet ive had plenty out on it and up to 8lb, being a soft tip but plenty of power further down it allows you to fish down to 3lb b/s hook lengths without cracking off, and I think it was only about £50

I often use a Drennan Tench Float Mk III 12ft 10ins (the one with the sliding reel fittings for my old pins) I have two and they are perfect for lines to 8lb.
For lighter work I often use a Shimano Diaflash 390H 13ft.

I have taken quite a few Barbel on both and both these rods work very well indeed.

I know neither are made now but I suspect fleabay could be a source for either.

I have Peter Stone's Drennan Tench Float rod....well it is mine I just live a few thousand miles away from it. Bought at a Barbel Society AGM.

Fantastic rod able to cope with nearly any float fishing for medium to heavier weight fish you can catch in the UK.

Ive got the Drennan Floatmaster 13ft 15ft and had some real lumps on it and never felt under gunned one of the best rods ive ever used

Harrison GTI , 15 foot (not SU version), no need to look at anything else, get it made up by a proper rod builder and I promise you will find you see it at the exclusion of every other rod you use for all but the smallest species.

Korum 13ft power float design flaw?

Gents

Thank you all for your input on this thread. There seemed to be so many good solutions it seemed difficult to know which way to go.

In the end, my decision was helped by Jon Frisby kindly offering me a 15ft Greys GTEC for a very good price, so i just had to find a nice 13 foot rod capable of handling 8lb line.

I settled on the 13ft Korum power float which seemed like a pleasant rod at a good price (just over £80) with 4 and 2 piece options.

However, i have just rigged up with my new pin for a perch session tomorrow and found, to my horror, that when in 2 pieces the (fine) tip protrudes a good inch above the butt section making it a broken rod tip waiting to happen sometime soon.

Have i got a duff rod, or is this just a spectacular design flaw?

Anyome else got one?

Hi Graham

I really do wonder sometimes what testing is done at Korum...

I have had an umbrella that lasted 1 session as the centre fixture snapped.

I have a Korum Quiver that tips up on the shoulder when loaded with a made up 2 piece 12footer (seems like 3 piece rods are ok)

Unless there is a handle extention piece for your rod, seems like another missed check.

Graham

I hope that isn't the 2 rod quiver i've just picked up at a "bargain" £22.99 :eek::eek:

I wish the butt section offered a solution to the problem but alas it looks like a disastrous design error.

Back