• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DO Dissolved Oxygen

What this past month has shown is just how many experts there are involved in barbel fishing. :rolleyes:

Yep met one Saturday while fishing a match on the upper thames asked what I would do if I caught a barbel...he wasn't too impressed when I said I would put it in my keepnet, I let him haver his rant and then explained to him if we caught any near or over 10lb's that these fish would be weighed/returned asap. at the draw the organiser expressed that keepnets be used correctly and fish welfare was paramount with the high water temps.

I don't think the BS view is taken as gospel but I do think that any organisation should be doing what they can to get information out to anglers in the weather conditions we have been experiencing. I am not a member.

I know of a few Trent Barbel anglers that wouldn't fish for them (or other species) until conditions changed, they decided on this entirely on their own, one after he had booked 2 weeks off work to fish.

Perhaps for ease and to reach a generalised view, could this all be expresssed in terms of water temperature (as a proxy for likely DO levels)? Barbel anglers can get preoccupied with water temps in colder months, deciding whether or not to bother targeting barbel based on an absolute temperature and movement over the recent period (and predicted for the following days). Why can’t this work at the other end of the spectrum. Do we really operate within fine scientific boundaries? How much precision do we really need?

If, generally, it is the case that water temperature above a certain amount (19/20c ??) is likely to have a negative impact on DO levels then that might be enough for many anglers to decide they won’t bother targeting barbel. That decision might be underpinned by reports of dead barbel etc. Making a local decision then becomes an individual matter of desire to fish/appreciation of local conditions and so on.

I think otherwise there is a danger of disappearing down various rabbit holes.

There’s just too many contributing factors Howard. Any attempt would be an educated guess at best. If you are interested though you can measure DO directly, cheaply and easily by purchasing a test kit. A basic titration based kit will cost about £10 and would be smaller than a small maggot pot.

Perhaps for ease and to reach a generalised view, could this all be expresssed in terms of water temperature (as a proxy for likely DO levels)? Barbel anglers can get preoccupied with water temps in colder months, deciding whether or not to bother targeting barbel based on an absolute temperature and movement over the recent period (and predicted for the following days). Why can’t this work at the other end of the spectrum. Do we really operate within fine scientific boundaries? How much precision do we really need?

If, generally, it is the case that water temperature above a certain amount (19/20c ??) is likely to have a negative impact on DO levels then that might be enough for many anglers to decide they won’t bother targeting barbel. That decision might be underpinned by reports of dead barbel etc. Making a local decision then becomes an individual matter of desire to fish/appreciation of local conditions and so on.

I think otherwise there is a danger of disappearing down various rabbit holes.

I would think it would be possible for the EA to install temperature reading gauges at the monitoring stations, I would guess that would not be a hugely expensive addition. Considering only Anglers contribute to funding water sports/past times it should be a given. They could of course advise on DO levels too, but that might just be too much to ask? I noted the the Barbel Society had a EA official take reading of DO at Pixham the other day, so their would seem to be enough need for such, especially if these warmer / hotter summers are to be more frequent. It certainly would be a God Send in the Winter months.

Neil,

Possible it might be, but likely....definitely not! Given the number of measuring stations across the country, the cost would be high and they need all their money for bankside tree clearance etc... I'm sorry, but providing a service to anglers seems to be very low on their agenda these days and heaven only knows what will happen post Brexit....

Dave

Neil,

Possible it might be, but likely....definitely not! Given the number of measuring stations across the country, the cost would be high and they need all their money for bankside tree clearance etc... I'm sorry, but providing a service to anglers seems to be very low on their agenda these days and heaven only knows what will happen post Brexit....

Dave

So long as they keep the same standards as they have with the Water Framework Directive we should be fine :eek:

I would think it would be possible for the EA to install temperature reading gauges at the monitoring stations, I would guess that would not be a hugely expensive addition. Considering only Anglers contribute to funding water sports/past times it should be a given. They could of course advise on DO levels too, but that might just be too much to ask? I noted the the Barbel Society had a EA official take reading of DO at Pixham the other day, so their would seem to be enough need for such, especially if these warmer / hotter summers are to be more frequent. It certainly would be a God Send in the Winter months.
I thought they'd still got the temperature gauges but stopped publishing the info after they did away with 'sex chat line' priced Riverline service. I might be wrong but vaguely remember someone on another thread mentioning it.

So long as they keep the same standards as they have with the Water Framework Directive we should be fine :eek:

Graham,

That undoubtedly will be the case initially but once we are fully out and the industry and farming lobbies get into full swing, the WFD will be abandoned and who knows what we'll have in its place...??

Dave

Graham,

That undoubtedly will be the case initially but once we are fully out and the industry and farming lobbies get into full swing, the WFD will be abandoned and who knows what we'll have in its place...??

Dave
David my post was tongue in cheek as I don't believe they have paid much attention to the WFD at all, the amount of our rivers classed as good bear that out.

ALL the info IS there, EA told me in March...it's just getting someone to pimp the software so it's fully available to all. They supplied me with some monthly (retrospective) graphs lasts winter, and assured me fairly 'live' info would "soon be available to the general public". I'll chase them up again (adding a request for DO readings I reckon eh)
ATBA

Bill,

Useful information. Shame about the temperature data as the map showed locations countrywide but the actual temperature measuring site that was accessed via the link had only limited sites with none between SW London and west Devon, which I find surprising as the temperature from Knapp Mill at the Royalty is published on the EA's own KM website. Not much use unless more comprehensive information is available giving anglers information on their local rivers.

Dave

Back