• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DNA Secret 7 Boilies

Wayne Robinson

Hi All
Thinking of trying DNA Secret 7 Boilies next season, can anyone recommend them / give feedback on them.
Or suggest alternative Boilie. Also looking at Vortex baits, Oxford carp baits, Blake's baits and Big carp baits
I normally use one type of Boilie for a few seasons, so am interested in everyone opinion

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne

I think as long as the boilie is from a decent base mix, you’ll be alright. I think the general consensus is that frozen are better than shelf life.

Find the fish, get them feeding, put a bait in. Which bait isn’t as important as the first two. That’s my opinion anyway.

There’s probably a few more on here than know a bit more than me about specific baits. I’ve been using the same 2-3 for the last couple of seasons and I don’t think there’s a lot of chance of them ‘blowing’.

Incidentally, I’ve heard some of the smaller bait companies that appear quite ‘niche’ are not a lot more than ground up pellets and shop bought groundbaits with some eggs mixed in, rolled and boiled. Not sure how true that is, but I’d imagine it goes on. I’m sure there are some great smaller scale bait makers out there too, though.

Bought 5kg last year but never got round to using it. Will be trying it this year on local venues. Distinct peach and orange smell with the liquid added. Was going to try 'ASP' instead of the DNA Liquid.
Cheers
Bob

Bob.
Are Yat still doing the ASAP.
Fantastic immediate bait.

Got Glyn to make my last ones.

Pandemic. Found the 12mm size quoted to be smaller than other bait makers and as 10mm. Just bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Have used DNA baits for probably 10 years. They have brought my carp to 29+ and lots of tench and barbel. They are really high quality and have found the shelf life to be just as productive as the freezer baits.
All their boilies are good, but I do like Secret 7 the best. I tend to buy the smaller diameter 10 -12mm.

Bob.
Are Yat still doing the ASAP.
Fantastic immediate bait.

Got Glyn to make my last ones.

Pandemic. Found the 12mm size quoted to be smaller than other bait makers and as 10mm. Just bear that in mind.
Hi Graham,
Pretty sure they are 12mm, 15mm and 18mm.

I have the base mix and flavours to make it up but tempted to buy a bag or two of ready mades.

Cheers
Bob

Hi men ,

You can use DNA baits with confidence , I used and caught on switch , with matching EVO hookbaits . The Evo hookbait system has lots going for it with barbel , with a great leakoff instantly . Sticky baits krill is worth a look , but put me in a corner I would be using Baitworks stuff , any of their baits , dedicated oils and dusted with C-Stim powder , it's got barbel written all over it .

Hatter

I used quite a bit of DNA baits at one point in time. The original company base was local and nicely on my commute journey. However, my use predates the newer baits such as The Switch and Secret 7. SLK is still in production all these years later and has long been a favourite. My absolute favourite was the long lost barbel recipe B1. If I were to go back down the boilie approach, I'd love to get my hands on that again. Sadly, I was assured a long time ago that it won't happen. For that reason, SLK would be my choice of the current DNA baits for barbel.

used pandemic from sept to end of season on a very hard stretch and never had any barbel on them, that don`t mean there not any good just didn`t work for me.
Andy

I think Graham is referring to Glynn at Three rivers rolling.Yet to try some of his 3RB
Yes.

He produced for John Baker.

Can pretty much make what you want. So worth seeing if an old favourite is possible.

And yes ASAP from Yatley. But it seems no 15 or 18 in stock.
Glyn can make. Reasonable prices.

Oxford Carp Baits, GS Crab I've found excellent in recent years. Made on a ABS GNZ base with a few of their own tweaks; which may just be the crab flavoring.

Back