• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DIY Feeders

Pete Goodwin

What do you reckon? First attempt so any comments as to how they can be improved gratefully received.

Cheers,

Pete.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 387
Looks good! Just make sure there is nowhere for the line to rub, not sure if the line could catch behind the hanging bit? But if not, what is it made from? And how much you selling them for?:D

Looking at the top left of the pic - have you used a stone effect spray paint? Looks great, will certainly disguise the feeder for a session or two but not that durable. Cheap enough to do again and again so a decent option - best of all you can do your bankstick's, rod rests, landing net handle, chair legs, bait boxes, flask, buttie box, fag packet - infact, there is no limit to what you can disguise with textured spray paint. Don't do yourself with it though - think Goldfinger. ;)

What do you reckon? First attempt so any comments as to how they can be improved gratefully received.

Cheers,

Pete.

How and what components did you make them from, if you dont mind me asking. They look great.

Big eye swivel, In-line lead insert, home made lead, large hair curler, textured spray paint - job's a good un!

Bang on the money with the components Andrew.

It is indeed the stone affect spray paint, I was a little worried as to wether it would rub off or not but went for the internal/external variant so hopefully will be ok. If not I will maybe use spray adhesive and either the brown coating I use when lead making or dried out compost.

The lead used on the feeder in the picture is a "dead cow" lead which was shop bought a while back. I have since bought some strap lead moulds and have made another feeder using one of these which has come out just as good although I did have to make a minor mod as I wasn't happy with the way the inline tube sat.

Thanks for the feedback,

Pete.

Looks well designed. My only reservation would be using plastic for the body of the feeder. Ive used plastic feeders on the lower severn and for my type of fishing they dont last long. Ive been using Fiskys feeders for the last 5 years now and they really do the job. Perhaps change the body of your feeder to metal?

i'v started doing a few my self. got a mate of mine to make me a mould that does upto 6oz

i too tried the paint, is it the plasticote stuff? i just got covered in it:D

fishing054_zps0802c0a4.jpg

fishing051_zpsbf63782b.jpg

The spray paint i use is by Rust-Oleum. Works well on leads but not so durable on the feeders. Saying that the ones pictured below were done nearly 18 months ago and have been lobbed in a fair few times since then. I'm going to do the next batch with the bake on coating Andy sells in the BFW shop but haven't lost enough feeders to get round to it yet!
andrew-boyne-albums-ribble-barbel-picture4305-100-4297.jpg

andrew-boyne-albums-ribble-barbel-picture4306-100-4298.jpg

for the plastic ones?

i just use a blow lamp for the wire, warm it up, dunk it in some powder, knock off the excess and go back over it.

i tried it with plastic................................:D

I just use Matt black plasticote. Great looking feeders lads.

I make mine from a hideous looking lime green hair roller from Boots and dont bother with the paint......the fish dont mind at all, in fact I suspect I have sometimes caught more than the guys using a more camo approach,

If you want really durable body's for your feeders vacuum cleaner tubes are good, the plastic ones from the Henry machine do the job fine but I suppose the aluminium ones would work as well.
Also the solid tubes are better for fast deep water as the bait tends to stay in longer than it does in the mesh ones.

That's the stuff I used Rust-Oleum, I'll see how they go if needs be I'll give them quick spray again or look at a more permanent solution.

The plastic rollers I used are quite sturdy and take a fair bit of pressure to flatten them. I looked at using metal mesh but wasn't happy I could cut them to size without leaving any sharp edges.

Adrian,

I like my teeth were they are so I'll not be cutting the hoover up, my Mrs has a hell of a left hook :)

how does the insert attach to the lead or feeder ?

I've used two pack epoxy resin.

With the cow lead I filled the gully between the lead and feeder and set the insert in that, and with the strap lead I had to drill a hole the same diameter as the insert down the length of the lead filled it with resin then slid the insert in.

Its all very solid and I don't expect any problems as I have added lead to feeders in the past using two pack and its never been a problem.

Pete.

Back