• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dinsmore plastic bait droppers

Ste Whybrow

Hi as anyone used these and what are your thoughts,with them being plastic obviously noise levels are reduced but do they work cheers ste

I had one. They do work ok until you get it snagged.
the hook that releases the door is also plastic and mine got caught on something retrieving it and snapped with very little effort.
Well I assume that’s what happened as I didn’t actually see but when I got it back it had no hook or weight left.

I use them a lot on smaller rivers and the Trent in moderate flows. Not quite as good as the original Thamesley droppers but good enough. There is an issue with the door falling off but this is easily sorted by tying it on with some strong braid. I rarely go barbel fishing without one.

I made this one when i was fishing the Lower Severn in the early 90's, Just tied my main line to the swivel on the dropper it workeda treat.

Attachments

• IMG_0789[1232].jpg
    IMG_0789[1232].jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0790[1233].jpg
    IMG_0790[1233].jpg
    181 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0791[1234].jpg
    IMG_0791[1234].jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 298
Cheers for the reply’s as I mainly fish the ribble think I will try one,the metal one I have is quite large and when I bringing it in at night it’s very load cheers ste

Yeah mine sounds like a 10 piece brass band skimming across the water surface but could probably be easily rectified with a dab of silicone on the door contact points.

The crabby door needs a better hinge , have had some that last a lot longer than others , will have to see if in can d.i.y on a better hinge to the largest one I have that is looking a bit battered after a few sessions .

I bought two last week and wasn't too impressed the door hinge. They'll not be used 'till March by which time the door will be wired to the housing.

I think they are more suited to slower flowing rivers and still waters, generally what happens on the retrieve (after dropping out) the door rotates in the flow and has a tendency to pull out. It maybe as already mentioned a modification is required.
Only speaking from experience when it happened to me, I did contact dinsmores and they very kindly sent me a replacement
they advised that particular bait-dropper does not work so well in fast flowing rivers (allegedly)

Back