• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dilley resigns

David Gauntlett

In case anyone missed it, Environment Agency chairman Philip Dilley resigned tonight over 'job demands'. I seems he is peeved that he was criticised for being in Barbados throughout the flooding crisis recently. Oh well, never mind :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

I heard that on the radio, wasn't the guy on holiday?

He should have know he wasn't allowed to go anywhere nice during time off work....

At home with the family, who live in Jamaica, in Barbados!
Hundred grand a week for three days 'work' but the pressure was too much bless him. Sure his mate Dave will find him another job. In the mean time I'll do that job for half if they're interested?

At home with the family, who live in Jamaica, in Barbados!
Hundred grand a week for three days 'work' but the pressure was too much bless him. Sure his mate Dave will find him another job. In the mean time I'll do that job for half if they're interested?

Aaah come on Rhys, that's harsh. He just decided that considering he does nothing for his money anyway, he may as well be in Barbados doing nothing...I can see the logic in that :D

I does make you laugh doesn't it? He said that as his job is 'non executive' they shouldn't expect him to be available at short notice. So, he expected big money, but no responsibility. Are you sure you want that job Rhys, only I was thinking of applying :p

Cheers, Dave.

I feel for the poor chap, after all it is only a part time position and it was rather wet you know.
Yes, the flood defence budget had been under funded but for 100k pa he should have at least had the common sense to think "I'm going to look a right tw@t sat in the sun while large areas are sat in flotsam and jetsam".
Insurance companies are now refusing to offer cover in areas with inadequate defences which means the gov't will need to spend the required funds to bring things up to scratch or certain areas will be uninhabitable. They seem to find enough money to bomb Syria and give huge pay rises to their personal flunkies, isn't it about time they spent some money ensuring the ordinary plebs are looked after? They soon jumped to it last time the effluent affected the affluent.

I feel for the poor chap, after all it is only a part time position and it was rather wet you know.
Yes, the flood defence budget had been under funded but for 100k pa he should have at least had the common sense to think "I'm going to look a right tw@t sat in the sun while large areas are sat in flotsam and jetsam".
Insurance companies are now refusing to offer cover in areas with inadequate defences which means the gov't will need to spend the required funds to bring things up to scratch or certain areas will be uninhabitable. They seem to find enough money to bomb Syria and give huge pay rises to their personal flunkies, isn't it about time they spent some money ensuring the ordinary plebs are looked after? They soon jumped to it last time the effluent affected the affluent.

See, that's the problem with this type of thread. No sooner have we got going when someone comes along and wants the government to be sensible, caring, honest and transparent. What the 'eck next I ask :D

Cheers, Dave.

'..........the Abbeystead Estate comprises most, perhaps all, of the catchment of the River Wyre, which flooded so badly in December. 80 properties were flooded in St Michael on Wyre, though they did not receive a visit from Environment Agency Chair Sir Philip Dilley. Why would they? You may ask, after all thousands of properties were affected by the flooding this year and Dilley visited only a few.'

The reason they might expect to see Sir Philip is because he is a Director of Grosvenor Estates, who own the Abbeystead Estate Grouse Moors and hill farms.

You couldn't make it up.

https://anewnatureblog.wordpress.co...environment-agency-chair-and-the-grouse-moor/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/543de6d2-aeec-11e5-993b-c425a3d2b65a.html#axzz3www4gSzq

Insurance companies are now refusing to offer cover in areas with inadequate defences which means the gov't will need to spend the required funds to bring things up to scratch or certain areas will be uninhabitable. They seem to find enough money to bomb Syria and give huge pay rises to their personal flunkies, isn't it about time they spent some money ensuring the ordinary plebs are looked after? They soon jumped to it last time the effluent affected the affluent.[/QUOTE]

I just love that piece of the post, one to remember :)

He can't stop the rain no matter how much money he's on,what was he ment to do sit there like King Kanute expecting the flood water to subside?Maybe he has powers of JC or Mosses:)

He can't stop the rain no matter how much money he's on,what was he ment to do sit there like King Kanute expecting the flood water to subside?Maybe he has powers of JC or Mosses:)

I would expect him to lead the efforts to deal with the situation and at least show some empathy with the victims of the floods.
It's about perception, remember how much grief Tony Hayward got as BP Chairman when he came back to the UK for a weekend during the US Gulf disaster?

If he had gone to Cumbria and had people show him around (people who had more important things to do) and he had nodded sagely and said "that's a lot of water, it must have rained" would it have done much good?

On a positive note, I see the government are going to pay farmers to have their land flooded in times of high river levels, I suppose you would call them flood plains? So the UK are going to build on flood plains and then pay farmers to turn fields into flood plains. That sounds sensible to me - well the second part does :)

If he had gone to Cumbria and had people show him around (people who had more important things to do) and he had nodded sagely and said "that's a lot of water, it must have rained" would it have done much good?

On a positive note, I see the government are going to pay farmers to have their land flooded in times of high river levels, I suppose you would call them flood plains? So the UK are going to build on flood plains and then pay farmers to turn fields into flood plains. That sounds sensible to me - well the second part does :)

That's besides the point, Cameronism isn't so much concerned about actually doing good - it's about being seen to be doing good. That's all that matters.

As such he would have been expected to ponce about in his wellies complimenting the emergency services, the EA staff who were working their socks off, praising the stoicism of those affected, whilst uttering the words "our hearts go out to them" every few minutes.

Wonder what the severance package will be? There's a price for doing the 'honourable' thing!

Wonder what the severance package will be? There's a price for doing the 'honourable' thing!

What you can almost guarantee is that Dilley, with his 'non executive' post as chairman of the EA is very much in the mould of a 'Director', placed on the board because of his title. 'Sir Phillip Dilley' looks good on the paperwork and impresses the hell out of the plebs (they think). He almost certainly wasn't actually expected to do much if anything....which is why he was so peeved when there was such a fuss made about him not coming back to the UK when the floods turned out to be such a disaster.

These guys are already super rich, but they get onto various boards just for their names, do nothing, but get paid enough in total to live nicely without ever touching the multi millions they already have. As such, his severance pay will probably amount to more than the sum of any ten working peoples entire lifetimes income. Sounds reasonable then :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

What you can almost guarantee is that Dilley, with his 'non executive' post as chairman of the EA is very much in the mould of a 'Director', placed on the board because of his title. 'Sir Phillip Dilley' looks good on the paperwork and impresses the hell out of the plebs (they think). He almost certainly wasn't actually expected to do much if anything....which is why he was so peeved when there was such a fuss made about him not coming back to the UK when the floods turned out to be such a disaster.

These guys are already super rich, but they get onto various boards just for their names, do nothing, but get paid enough in total to live nicely without ever touching the multi millions they already have. As such, his severance pay will probably amount to more than the sum of any ten working peoples entire lifetimes income. Sounds reasonable then :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Maybe, far from being, "expected to do much if anything", his role was to make sure that nothing got in the way of government "policy". The policy being far from what you, I or any other angler would expect. :) Does this sound like a conspiracy, coz i don't mean it to be.:)

Stephen

Back