• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital thermometer at Lidl

Something wrong with the link. It goes to the lidl's home page.
Ooops just have to put your postcode in

Last edited:
Got one of these last year, covered the sensor neatly in silicone sealant, small weight tied on as it's very light, works fine

Guys, last time this was posted went out and bought 3! Not bad price but word of warning, they are not water proof! (Not good for fishing methinks!) However I now have them festooned around my house giving me up to the minute external and internal temp readings so not copletely useless:(

Colin
Readings are accurate enough for me, just have to leave it a little while so the temperature can get through the silicone, handy ring on the end to attach a small lead to take it down

Guys, last time this was posted went out and bought 3! Not bad price but word of warning, they are not water proof! (Not good for fishing methinks!) However I now have them festooned around my house giving me up to the minute external and internal temp readings so not copletely useless:(

Hi Keith,

I assume your are talking about the box, not the probe , when you say that they are 'not water proof'?

Cheers, Dave.

How accurate is an instrument designed to measure air temperature at measuring water temp? the probe should be waterproof as designed to be outside..

The probe is waterproof,it's just the casing that isn't.Tried one a few years ago on a motorbike to hopefully warn of freezing conditions,only lasted a few hours in the rain.Should have put it in a small ziplock bag.Works fine on the river bank,just wrap a length of leadcore or solder around the cable above the probe to aid "casting" it out.

Probe is waterproof. Presently staring at one on my desk here (with the probe / sensor outside, through a firmly closed window) that I bought from Lidl this time last year. A second is in my living room. A third is in my little tackle-bag. All still working well, with the fishing one's non-waterproof screen etc spending its life in a Cameroonian knotted condom.

David, should have been more specific:eek: The cable is a bit short so when it's raining the main body is in the rain (I like to leave the probe in the water to get a trend) and unfortunately the main body is not waterproof:( Other than that they are brilliant at the price:)

David, should have been more specific:eek: The cable is a bit short so when it's raining the main body is in the rain (I like to leave the probe in the water to get a trend) and unfortunately the main body is not waterproof:( Other than that they are brilliant at the price:)

Thanks Keith, I guessed that was what you meant fella, but thought I would make sure. The real downer for me though is the short lead. Even in the aquarium scenario it is designed for, that is too short. Mind you, aquarists have been fighting the manufacturers of their equipment on that score for donkeys years, and not really got through to them yet :D

I have a small marine tank on a cabinet in one corner of my living room, and almost all of the cables on the equipment involved have had to be lengthened just to reach the socket tower on the floor behind it. The safe waterproof cable connectors I had to use were more expensive than some of the kit itself....how mad is that ?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Faulty thermometer

As a few on the site had purchased the Lidl thermometer I thought i'd get one myself.
What a disappointment! I know it was only £3.99 but it was poorly made and was faulty. Took it back and got my money back. I think I'll stick to my alcohol thermoeter I got from a garden centre on a piece of string.

Steve

Thanks for that link to Amazon I have just given it a go as my thermometer has just failed on me. I will let you know what its like in a few days.

Brian

Back