• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital scales

Micheal Rivett

Hi
As christmas is just around the corner a set of digi scales might be nice but whats best and whats not. i know every one will have they own favourites but be interested to see which is the most popular without having to spend a fortune.
A little footnote just bought a alpkit headtorch as featured on the forum have not had chance to use it on the bank as yet, but seems to be a real good piece of kit.Just ordered 2 more for christmas pressies for friends

MIKE.

Salter Digital Samsons. Accurate, rugged and don't eat up batteries.

RRP about £75-80?, but search around and you can get up to a third off.

They are the scales of choice of the Specimen Group I belong to. Tested and trusted. :)

I've been using the Rapala Proguide digi's for the past couple of season's. The battery in mine has been changed once. They are robust and accurate.
Shop around and you'll get them fairly cheap.

RapalaWorld.com

Someone's going to write this so it might as well be me!

It's Ruebon Heaton Specimen Hunter dial scales for me. Accurate, robust and most importantly, won't let you down when you've got a potential river record resting in your landing net.

I had a set of Chub digis for a season - made by RH - accurate, really user friendly, and failed twice. Were replaced within a couple of weeks by a new set but that's not the point is it ;)

I'm a Digital owner myself however they, (RH's) took a while to get used to. Trying to hold a decent weight steady for them to register proved difficult at times and didn't inspire confidence, so finally I resorted to one of these........

steve-cole-albums-other-stuff-picture3250-c-hook.jpg

In fact I think hanging scales is vital for accuracy regardless of scale type.

You'll need the heavy duty version and a nearby tree growing at 15 degs or so off vertical so the weigh sling hangs totally free.

Are my digi's accurate ? Well. after weighing a Barb of 10.15 I asked my mate to pop his RH dials on the hook and we had a 1oz difference, but maybe they are both out :D

Last edited:
Read that the fox digis are good but not used them I use the Avon Londons and never looked back.
Regards

After owning 2 sets of very unreliable Fox digital scales,having been convinced they would be the way to go after an article in Coarse Fisherman,I wouldn't consider any digital whatever the make.Reubens all day long.
Pete

Fox digi's are known for eating batteries. I've got the digi reubons and they're excellent. Wouldn't mind using them a little more often though.

I prefer the excitement of seeing the arm going round and seeing where it stops.

Mate has fox digi's and has no problem with them, however i have heard quite a few do.

If I had to comment on A set of scales to buy, it would have to be Reuben heaton Specimen scales 30lb x 1/2oz, very easy to use and a lot less hassle getting the weight than the 60lb x 1oz, which I had before getting a new set of the 30lbs for this season. If it had to be a set of digi scales, I here good vibes about the Salter digi scales.

Berkley TEC Digis are excellent. Very reliable and very accurate. Great battery life too. They are also a sensible size, so can be easily stored in your bag.

Back