• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital scales

Robert Morgan

Hi all can anyone point me in the rite direction on a good set ov digital scales...please no korum ones as use a set this year just got them out my bag and the screens half missing ..ps I'm a roving angler so not big bulky things ...thanks in advance

Yeah my fly
I’ve had a few korum wychwood avid the avids were the best of the bunch but to be honest I don’t trust any of them .. gone back to using the trusty old Avons
Yeah my reuben fly lights are in my bag for now ..its just easier in the dark on my own with digital scales ..ps not that there get alot ov use lol

These are excellent imo. Light and compact with excellent battery life.

Most of my fishing is roving along the river banks and i've found these to be brilliant.

You can get several sets for a tenner so no worries if they get stood on etc.
I've had mine for at least 3yrs now and never changed the batteries, they still work fine and seem to be very accurate.
I have a few sets of scales including a new set of avons and I can honestly say those little tiddly luggage scales are by far my favourites.

Most of my fishing is roving along the river banks and i've found these to be brilliant.

I've had mine for at least 3yrs now and never changed the batteries, they still work fine and seem to be very accurate.
I have a few sets of scales including a new set of avons and I can honestly say those little tiddly luggage scales are by far my favourites.
I have the similar one, very accurate and lightweight, mine is four years old now and still with original battery. The only drawback is they don’t read in both pound and ounces, need to do a bit math sometimes. That’s why I got the wychwood one.

I have the similar one, very accurate and lightweight, mine is four years old now and still with original battery. The only drawback is they don’t read in both pound and ounces, need to do a bit math sometimes. That’s why I got the wychwood one.

The set I have weighs in both kg's and pounds and grames, so yes, the grames need to be worked out into ounces 👍.

Same for me.

They are more accurate than my Avons and a set of Reuben Heaton dial scales.

With all the adverse feedback from digital scale users, I can't see the point in owning a set. They seem nothing but trouble. I've had my critics in the past for holding this opinion. Probably best sticking with good old fashioned dial scales. Avon's or Reuben Heatons. Incidentally, can you still buy Avon's new these days?

Last edited:
With all the adverse feedback from digital scale users, I can't see the point in owning a set. They seem nothing but trouble. I've had my critics in the past for holding this opinion. Probably best sticking with good old fashioned dial scales. Avon's or Reuben Heatons. Incidentally, can you still buy Avon's new these days?
If you are after some there several Avon Scales on eBay at the moment Ady and a couple look in nice condition.👍

I used avons and reubans for years. I still have a set of boxed as new avons and prefer the little digital luggage scales by a cou try mile.
Reubens are pretty dire imo, you'll prolly get a more accurate weight of a fish by guessing it 😉.
The OP said he does a lot of roving and didn't want bulky scales that's why I put the link up to those little digi scales, they are small and compact and weigh very little....with the added benefits of being accurate and costing little more than a mars bar.
I carry a compact set of accurate tubular spring scales to double check anything worth weighing. The spring scales are ok, but nothing like the pinpoint accuracy of the digi's....jmo of course.

Thanks for that Bill. I still have an old set, but was wondering if Avon still make them, as they're still popular and in demand.
The Avon Scale Company used to be in Edmonton, North London. They used to service and supply high resolution weighing equipment, which I sold at the time, and manufactured the fishing scales on site. I believe that Tony Cross, the chap I dealt with was an angler himself. Long gone now I’m afraid, I tried to find them myself a few years back to get my Avons serviced. Mine were bought for me by my Mum for my 16th birthday, she paid £5-19-6d in 1969 ! They still weigh within an ounce of my digitals and I’ll be taking them to The Tenchfishers AGM for a weigh check. I’ve always kept them in a case and with a silica gel bag to keep moisture at bay.

Back