• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Difference between Shimano D reels and OC reels

Wayne Williams

Hello,
I am about to purchase 2 of the above, apart from price and colour could somebody tell me what other differences there are and is it worth paying the extra for the “D”. Looking at getting the 6000’s, I already own 2 4000oc’s and can’t find any faults other than feeling a little on the small side, hence the reason to change.

Thanks for looking and please be gentle.

Very little and if your happy with the OC then there is no reason to change. If it ain’t broke n all that.......
The D has the solid stainless single handle which is an absolute thing of beauty. It’s very light for a baitrunner but I’d guess the OC is similar. The D has that lovely machined aluminium spool (only 1 mind) which again really screams quality. 4 ball bearings so very smooth, clutch is by a mile the nicest I’ve used but the oc might share that feature too. The D has an oiling point but Personally I wouldn’t use it as I like to see what I’m oiling and where.
if the oc shares these features or these features aren’t a selling point for you then stick with the oc’s

Having owned both would go for the oc everytime. Yes the D looks a bit nicer however that’s about it. Both smooth, with a good clutch. Weight is similar. Possibly the d might be sealed but I’m not sure I’m just guessing why the difference in price.

There aren't huge differences. However, the D does have the uprated S-ARB bearings (corrosion resistant and sealed) and one piece bail arm. Quite a few people aren't overly keen on this type of bail arm anyway. The OC model wasn't available when I bought my Ds. Had it been, I may have gone for OCs instead. It's largely a case of "you pay your money and you take your choice".

Better bearings, makes a difference. And who doesn't like a gold spool. The Thunnus is worth a look too, hard to find the EU model though.

A question that is along the same lines and one that Shimano experts might be able to confirm the answer to...

What is the difference between the old 3500b and the even older 3500? I have read that the b has instant/infinite anti-reverse whereas the other one doesn’t. I asked the seller of some 3500s but I don’t think they understood what I was asking.

Thanks,
Matt

A question that is along the same lines and one that Shimano experts might be able to confirm the answer to...

What is the difference between the old 3500b and the even older 3500? I have read that the b has instant/infinite anti-reverse whereas the other one doesn’t. I asked the seller of some 3500s but I don’t think they understood what I was asking.

Thanks,
Matt
Iirc the main difference is the waterproof exceptionally smooth drag the B was famous for. The B had a big bearing proper line roller Thes B had a more modern rotary giro style and as a result was probably more balanced.
ive only owned B’s in the past not the standard 3500 so I can’t make accurate comparisons other than stated above

Thanks,
Matt

The 3500 has a different spool, i learnt the hard way when i paid £25 for a 3500 spool, thinking it would fit my 3500B, and although it does actually fit on the 3500B, the skirt it much shorter.

On the 3500B, its approx 28mm in depth, wherehas on the 3500, its more like 18mm in depth, which means as it rides up and down, (in its outmost position), you can see the central shaft of the reel.

Back