• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Diawa sensor

Paul Gaynard

After getting a bad spool of my last line I decided to have a change so went for ordinary sensor in 12lbs last year which I found to be an excellent line but just wondering what the views are on sensor verses hyper sensor ,is there any advantage in paying the extra, line will be used mainly on the Trent

I switched from the normal sensor, to the hyper sensor a few years back. Not had any problems with it ( touch wood ), i find it to be smoother, and a bit more limp.

thanks for your help chaps, I did try the 15lb sensor but found it a bit springy a completely different animal to the 12lb , the 12lb seeming to be a lot smoother and seemed to spool a lot better and plenty strong enough never had a fish snap it yet

thanks for your help chaps, I did try the 15lb sensor but found it a bit springy a completely different animal to the 12lb , the 12lb seeming to be a lot smoother and seemed to spool a lot better and plenty strong enough never had a fish snap it yet
Paul,
If you take a butchers at The Tackle Box line test, see Chris’s link above, the 12lb was breaking at over 16lb when tested!

That’s a great read and provides a really good insight into line expectations compared to them in reality,

I’ll stick to Daiwa Sensor clear - when I can actually find it in stock!!!
Poingdestres have it available at the moment Tony. Drop the menu down and you’ll find 12lb Clear

I cant honestly say I have ever used a grinner or a palomar knot in 30yrs of fishing, infact I have no idea the name of the knot I use, it was taught to me by my father when I was learning.

I go through the eye eye of the swivel, twist the tag end up the line 5 times, then pass back through the line loop by the swivel.

However, Occasionally it damages the line, so I cut if and retie it.

I will definately try the 5 turn grinner and palomar knots when im next out.

Interesting that they state all tests have been undertaken with a 5 turn grinner - with mono especially a palomar is the better knot IMO so potentially increased breaking strain on the numbers stated based on your line of choice . . .
I can see where you're coming from @Chris Belcher but, whatever knot I use with mono I won't go 'through the eye' twice, due to the possibility/likelihood of crimping .... and with the palomar you are, in effect, passing it through the eye twice. Plus you can't use small-eyed hooks (small relative to your chosen line diameter) due to going through the eye twice. It's a easy knot to tie but you can't be sure how each strand of line in the knot is lying on all the others. I use the Grinner/Uni knot with braid, but with mono/fluoro I've gone back to using a half blood knot. I go once through the eye, give it about 8 turns, lubricate well, and slowly pull it tight without tucking. The only variation is if I'm using the wonderful Silstar Match Team, or Seaguar/Grand Max Soft-Plus (both VERY slippy, esp the Match Team) where I will tuck, or put an overhand knot in the tag. But each knot has its own inherent weakness (including the knotless knot). Can't remember now though the last time I had a 'knot problem'.

I can see where you're coming from @Chris Belcher but, whatever knot I use with mono I won't go 'through the eye' twice, due to the possibility/likelihood of crimping .... and with the palomar you are, in effect, passing it through the eye twice. Plus you can't use small-eyed hooks (small relative to your chosen line diameter) due to going through the eye twice. It's a easy knot to tie but you can't be sure how each strand of line in the knot is lying on all the others. I use the Grinner/Uni knot with braid, but with mono/fluoro I've gone back to using a half blood knot. I go once through the eye, give it about 8 turns, lubricate well, and slowly pull it tight without tucking. The only variation is if I'm using the wonderful Silstar Match Team, or Seaguar/Grand Max Soft-Plus (both VERY slippy, esp the Match Team) where I will tuck, or put an overhand knot in the tag. But each knot has its own inherent weakness (including the knotless knot). Can't remember now though the last time I had a 'knot problem'.
Knots are a personal choice Terry and if it ain't broke no point in fixing it whatever your choice! For a mono to swivel connection / direct to most large eyed hooks (coming from the darkside I habitually never use hooks smaller than size 6 these days) the Palomar is the easiest and strongest solution over any other knot in my experience. For smaller hooks / finer lines I'd use a Grinner / Uni - and as you state the same with braid to alleviate slippage. Weirdly the Palomar is weaker with braid than the Uni - no idea why - lots of online tests prove this!

Only time I'll ever use a blood knot is with very fine fluro (trotting hooklinks) as its so easy to pigtail the link or thicker (10lb+) fluro leaders which I do use regularly use for barbel and carp. Again weirdly a simple 2 turn blood knot (untucked) does the job in this instance - again no idea why! Terry Hearn convinced me on this over 20yrs ago at a show when demonstrating the boom section knot with amnesia on his stiff hinged rig . . .2 turns / back through / wet / pull - done!

Back