• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Diawa Infinity reels

Stephen Whyte

Hi, was wondering if anyone can help with their opinions/experience for the infinity reels, as my son was thinking of buying them. He does a lot of carp fishing, and travels to France a few times a year. At the moment he is using shimano 10000, and i was wondering if it was worth the extra expense, as they apparently retail at about £250. If anyone can offer any help, it would be most welcome.

Thanks
Steve

Do you mean the Infinity BR's? If so, then they are good, very good. I don't own them but I know a few who do. Better that Shimano Long casts, in my opinion.

Do you mean the Infinity BR's? If so, then they are good, very good. I don't own them but I know a few who do. Better that Shimano Long casts, in my opinion.

Yes, it's the BR's he was thinking about. Thanks for the reply.
Steve

Also,thanks Jon, will have a look at the xtb's.

Last edited:
I've got 3 5000xbr's looking for a good home Stepen.Their in mint condition boxed with spare spools.Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Jason

Ive been carp fishing for over 20 years and had a few sets of the so called top of the range reels, tournament 6000t very good apart from the screaching from the line guard, swapped these for 5000xbr's bad move they feel so cheap when winding not smooth at all, a sort of loose feeling, soon got rid of and for the past 5 years been using the technium 10000xt in a different league, not made anymore thats why they go for such big money on ebay.

Alan, surprised you thought the XBRs were not smooth. I have 4 of these (5500 size) and wouldn't swap them for anything, superb reels IMHO. If they have one fault though then it is that they are bloody heavy, they're quite bulky too. Depends what you want them for, for close work I still use Shimanos.

Reels are a personal choice as the top end Daiwas and Shimanos are all pretty good, best advice is to go to a decent tackle shop and have a play around with them to see which ones you prefer.

If you go for these then shop around, I managed to get mine for a little over half the RRP.

Howdi partner! ;)

I have 3 of them and find then to be fantastic reels. I've used alot of, (what we call now), big pit reels whilst fishing off the beach as a kid, and can say with confidence that the XBR's are top reels. The 'guts' of the reel are easily capable of handling big cats, I wouldn't hesitate even to take them tope fishing(!) as they are serious work horses.

I too Alan am surprised by your critique of these reels :)

Ian

Back