• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Diary of a River Keeper - Avon Diary 2011

Ray Walton

Some anglers and conservation interested people may be aware of this river keepers diary website which is very informative up to date and covers the Hampshire Avon, tributaries and lakes etc in the area. I am sure everyone can learn something from the diaries, especially in the past archives of what goes on good and bad along the Avon Valley. Well worth a read and enhance your knowledge of an SSSI, SAC RAMSAR protected region of river and surrounding area.
http://www.avondiary.net/?p=91

Cor this takes me back !! When I was a lad there was a regular article in The Angling Times / Anglers Mail not sure which one called " A Diary of a River Keeper" I'm sure the keeper was Tom Williams...It made a great read...what a life, or that's how it seemed to an urban teenager !!!

Cor this takes me back !! When I was a lad there was a regular article in The Angling Times / Anglers Mail not sure which one called " A Diary of a River Keeper" I'm sure the keeper was Tom Williams...It made a great read...what a life, or that's how it seemed to an urban teenager !!!

"My River" was the name of the excellent AM series. More than just once "when I was a lad" I watched Tom and his wife Molly (a good writer) put it together in their Estate cottage - Waterways, Charlton All Saints, nr. Salisbury, Wilts...

Thanks for the tip Dave....if you are not in for it I may take a dabble !!!

Thanks also Paul for completing the title of AM weekly slot...when I read your lines a great big bell sounded in my head !!!...memory needs a tad of help at times !

Bill,

All yours as I have my own hardback copy here at home (was at work when I posted originally).

The book is actually a collection of his articles from Angler's Mail and Angler's Mail Annual spanning a period of 12 years so if you do get hold of a copy, it may bring back memories of those articles that you recall from the 70s. The book was published in 1980.

Dave

Dave...

I've had a butchers on Amazon and believe it or not there are one or two hard back copies going...second hand of course but might invest in a bookshelf copy rather than the paperback...Thanks for waking me up and making me aware of the book...

Bill

Hi men ,

Bumped into Tom / dogs :D in a pub in Hampshire in the mid 70,s . The dogs came in the door before he got to the bar , layed in front of the open fire , and steamed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Of course the tv program is more than worth a look . Filmed by someone well known .

Hatter

Last edited:
Yes. He had a couple of gundogs - spaniels, I think they were - but the canine love of his life was Mona the Labrador. He talked to her, she to him. Lovely dog.

Hi men,

It was in the Bull at Downton . At the time it had a public bar / saloon separated by a fire . Really nice pub , untouched really at that time, stuffed fish all over the walls .

Hatter

The Bull. Mein hosts Peter Scott-Newman and his formidable lady wife Jean(?), the latter scaring the hell out of me from age 14 when I first met her (whilst staying at the little hotel for a few days with my parents, catching during our stay my biggest perch for many years to come, 2-07, from the punt landing-stage, on freelined brandling) until well into my twenties.

Back