• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Derwent record goes again

Chris Avis

No Longer a Member
Apparently the Derwent record has gone again, at 17-4 by Wayne Tooth. Doesnt look as big in the picture as the 16 though.

Perhaps she was holding her gut in for the picture . Big barbel can be very vain creatures once they have had a sniff of the limelight :)

Last edited:
It's, apparently, the same fish, Chris, so very unlikely to be lighter. :)

Barbel can actually lose weight rapidly Rich over quite a short time too.

Thats the thing with pictures on one camera they can make fish look large and another set up small.
Not taking anything away from Wayne its a cracker.

Barbel can actually lose weight rapidly Rich over quite a short time too.

Thats the thing with pictures on one camera they can make fish look large and another set up small.
Not taking anything away from Wayne its a cracker.

Well yes, when spawning, but not usually at this time of year when they're building up the energy lost during the aforementioned activity. Plus, quite a bit of bait tends to go in the river during the summer, particularly in swims inhabited by the bigger girls. :)

Congratulations to the captor!

Well yes, when spawning, but not usually at this time of year when they're building up the energy lost during the aforementioned activity. Plus, quite a bit of bait tends to go in the river during the summer, particularly in swims inhabited by the bigger girls. :)

Congratulations to the captor!

Rich, we're between 6-8 weeks behind in the season, carp aparently I hear from my mate are only just spawning.
This isnt usually this time of the year I'm afraid:(

From what I hear/read, Chris, we're not that far behind and most, if not all, barbel will have spawned.

On the question of barbel losing weight, we seem to disagree. So perhaps we should just agree to do that?

Back