• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DEFRA/EA Abolishes Close Season

and license holders can no longer demand to see other anglers licenses; only EA bailiffs and coppers can ask.

all clubs should put in their own rules, no licence, your permit is invalid.

so what has actually happened ?
can you now legally fish from the end of the season to opening day?
or was it some loophole thats now been fixed?

as far as i can workout, a loophole that basically made the closed season as it is/was, invalid.

i just wish they would make there mind up what is happening with the closed season once and for all. i used to think i would like it abolished so i could fish whenever i wanted but on the other hand i love waiting to see what the first cast will bring at midnight on the 16th.

what it needs is everyone to withold ea licence payment next year, then the
body that runs it will realise their jobs are in jeopardy, especially with this government hell bent on saving cash!, its the only way to make our feelings felt.:mad:

Can somebody clarify this for me please,just back from a session and I have not got a clue what is /has happened to prompt this post.
Confused.

what it needs is everyone to withold ea licence payment next year, then the
body that runs it will realise their jobs are in jeopardy, especially with this government hell bent on saving cash!, its the only way to make our feelings felt.:mad:

A very good idea, only trouble is would people get organised to actually do it? You would think with the power of the internet organised protests like this would go smoothly but sadly it's not the case. A few months ago an e-mail did the rounds suggesting a total boycott of BP and Esso garages to force fuel prices down. The amount of people that e-mail must have reached would be colossal, given most peoples fury over the cost of fuel. Yet it never happened. BP and Esso still have their share of customers every day.

Here is the relevant section from the link
The Marine & Coastal Access Act repealed Section 19 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act. This was with the intention of allowing the Agency to regulate and enforce close seasons/close times entirely by byelaw. However, the repeal overlooked the fact that S.19 also contained the only offence of fishing during the close season and close times. Government lawyers had assumed the offence was included in national/regional byelaws, but these simply set out close season dates/times and do not include offences. As a result, while all the existing close seasons and times remain as set out in byelaws, there is now no active offence of fishing during the close season or close times.

what about free bits.
either we have all year fishing or not?
a bit of clarity.
assumption is the mother of, well you know the rest.

Back