• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Deformed barbel

Jeff Smith

Have any of you experienced this before?
This 11lb fish had quite a serious deformity but , was in otherwise excellent condition and it certainly didn’t seem to affect her ability to scrap.
DC9F8923-4540-495C-8E0F-C6CD84D68FA0.jpeg

Had afew with odd body shapes and abnormal lumps here and there. Doesn’t seem to effect them at all as they all go like missiles once pricked

Some fish are more prone to this kind of deformity. Golden Orfe are terrible for it, for those not familiar they are a strain off Ide, not a million miles from Barbel. It also effects Koi semi regularly.
No one knows, although there’s plenty of speculation as to why this occurs in Cyprinidae members, but they can often live many years before it becomes a serious hinderance.

I have caught what looks like the same deformed fish about 5 times over the last 8 years from the tidal trent ,starting at around 9lb and last time i caught it was around 11 1/2lb, my mate has caught it about 3 times all within about 300 yards of bank , he nick named it Humphrey. Maybe they don't range distance wise as far as some barbel do .

I once caught a small barbel from Kings weir and bringing it in it didn't feel right. When it was on the bank the reason became obvious. At some point in the past it had entered a discarded glass bottle neck and I assume grew into it. Managed to pull it off and there was a definite indentation in the body.
Incidentally it was one of a dozen that evening caught from the weedy run below the Weir, left hand bank.
Those were the days. Probably 1971.

I once caught a small barbel from Kings weir and bringing it in it didn't feel right. When it was on the bank the reason became obvious. At some point in the past it had entered a discarded glass bottle neck and I assume grew into it. Managed to pull it off and there was a definite indentation in the body.
Incidentally it was one of a dozen that evening caught from the weedy run below the Weir, left hand bank.
Those were the days. Probably 1971.
You wouldn’t catch a dozen in 4 years now paul

Back