• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Deeper pro +

Jon Young

Treated myself to one of these for Christmas and was wondering if any of you have one how do you hold your phone while using it? Iv seen on a pic you can attach your phone to your rod but I’d be too worried about it flying off on the cast into the river. I was wondering if there is any bankstick adapters that can hold your phone so you could have it next to you so you can see it but still have both hands on the rod/reel ready to reel it back in

I’ve not used mine much, I do very little lake fishing and most of the river venues I fish are quite shallow. For finding holes in the margin it’s actually quicker to use a big weight. I just pop my phone on the bait bucket as it’s often a joint operation between the deeper and bait dropper.

I have a Deeper Chirp + and use the rod mounted phone adapter with my Samsung S8 and have not had any issues. There are some bankstick holders for phones to enable selfies to be done, no doubt one of those could be adapted to use as a stand.

I am more concerned about loosing the Sonar than the phone, so I use 65lb braid and an 18" wire trace (wonder how many have been lost to pike).

I don't even try to mount the phone on my rod. I'll put the phone down flat on a chair or suitable surface where I can see it although there is no need if you are just doing a general survey for later analysis. Sometimes if it has been raining I'll leave the phone in the car while I cast the cannonball out.

To be honest I think it is vastly over rated and the software on the Deeper program is quite poor. I have a cheap Lucky Chinese sounder and more often than not I'll just run the little yellow duck through the swim to check for snags, drop offs and the temperature.

I've been in contact with someone using one on a stretch of river I'm too far from to do it myself. It's brilliant.

I had the same concerns Jon, and although I believe them to be largely unjustified, I still didn't like using mine rod-mounted. But with always having my mobile in a fold over case, I found that by having a cord around my neck (like a long necklace) my phone would lie securely enough on my chest. In this position it's more secure, and I found it to be in a better position to view what's going on with the sonar.
Would I rate them for river work?? It's found a few interesting features, but missed a load too. I'd give them (with the present software) 6/10.

I have a Deeper Chirp + and use the rod mounted phone adapter with my Samsung S8 and have not had any issues. There are some bankstick holders for phones to enable selfies to be done, no doubt one of those could be adapted to use as a stand.

I am more concerned about loosing the Sonar than the phone, so I use 65lb braid and an 18" wire trace (wonder how many have been lost to pike).
Losing the sonar is something I’m also worried about which is another reason I want both hands on the rod ready to retrieve. I’ll have a look for a bank stick phone holder on eBay or something. I was planning on using a wire trace. Might pop a cork ball or something on the end to stop it sinking in case it interferes with the readings

Sorry - here's the link :

Sorry - here's the link :

Yeah that’s the sort of thing I’m after

Saw a youth running down the banks of the tidal trent , hurtling down the banks of the tidal after his sonar which he did not recover ,was a bit of water on to be fair.

Losing the sonar is something I’m also worried about which is another reason I want both hands on the rod ready to retrieve. I’ll have a look for a bank stick phone holder on eBay or something. I was planning on using a wire trace. Might pop a cork ball or something on the end to stop it sinking in case it interferes with the readings
I tried it on a bank stick (well, a storm pole) but didn't like it there. Wire trace is good idea. Sonar only weights 3.5oz so with 30lb braid and a 2lb+ tc rod, you should be safe. On the Severn you're only going to need a underhand lob anyway.

I use the rod phone holder and had no issues with it. I suppose it depends how far you want to chuck it out. 50/60m is easily done with gentle lob.

Have one use 45lb braid and a trace as have had quite a few pike attack it. As for phone use a 36 bank stick and attach the phone holder I use for selfies .

Treated myself to one of these for Christmas and was wondering if any of you have one how do you hold your phone while using it? Iv seen on a pic you can attach your phone to your rod but I’d be too worried about it flying off on the cast into the river. I was wondering if there is any bankstick adapters that can hold your phone so you could have it next to you so you can see it but still have both hands on the rod/reel ready to reel it back in
HI Jon been using one for 3 years the rod phone adapter works a treat it is very secure and the 4 bands that secure each corner of the phone are very tight.

I just use my iPad and sit it in my chair. With the large screen, it’s easy to see and I’ve more space for recording. Mine is tied on 80lb braid, might consider the wire trace now though!

Just had my first few casts with my deeper. Couple of questions. Are those green dots fish or something else. Also it seemed to keep losing connection when I cast about half way across the river. Anyone else have that problem?
122F9061-F2D2-4F70-A610-77C8633DD5AA.png
FDFDCD99-F61E-41D1-A6C7-98E4B8420C51.png

Hi Jon, yes the dots are probably fish. Losing connection??? That's usual IME, make sure you're Mobile Data is switched off, stay out from under trees, and don't rest your mobile phone on the bank. It usually takes a few seconds after every cast for the App to find the sonar, but once 'found' it shouldn't 'lose' it.

Back