• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Deep Hooked Barbel

Well said David.

I too use a baitrunner and alarm and have never deep hooked a barbel (or carp) - and I've had a few. It does seem that some people look down their noses at such an "un-purist" method of fishing - I've had a few comments before now on my club stretches regarding my setup.

1. I have not lost a barbel yet
2. I have never deep hooked a barbel
3. I have never "missed" a bite
4. I have my fair share of the fish

There will always be some that have a dig at others - especially when you are catching more than them ;)

I haven't seen any of that on this thread Luke just anglers giving their thoughts on what could result in a deep hooked fish, as for using baitrunners or alarms each to their own but I would bet that you have had bites that have not registered on the alarms, there not all wrap arounds :)

As long as we anglers persist in dreaming up new ways of deceiving and sticking hooks in fish inevitably some fish are going to swallow hooks down , not good but I think unavoidable

I haven't seen any of that on this thread Luke just anglers giving their thoughts on what could result in a deep hooked fish, as for using baitrunners or alarms each to their own but I would bet that you have had bites that have not registered on the alarms, there not all wrap arounds :)

I understand that they're not all wrap arounds - I still sit by my rods and watch my isotopes - I just like the security of having the alarm on when fishing late sessions. I have 2 little kids so usually tired and have nodded off before now. No doubt I have missed bites but It's working for me at the minute. :p

From Luke.........."There will always be some that have a dig at others"........reply from Graham......."I haven't seen any of that on this thread Luke".

Then you are a blind old bat Graham:D:D:D

All good fun mate.

Cheers, Dave.

From Luke.........."There will always be some that have a dig at others"........reply from Graham......."I haven't seen any of that on this thread Luke".

Then you are a blind old bat Graham:D:D:D

All good fun mate.

Cheers, Dave.

You know me Dave, always see the best in people ;) you are a naughty bu££er :)

I've deep hooked 2 or 3 barbel.

All on rolled (freelined actually)meat. Two of them I saw take midstream. After they rolled upside down to swallow the bait followed by an immediate strike.

I've deep hooked 2 or 3 barbel.

All on rolled (freelined actually)meat. Two of them I saw take midstream. After they rolled upside down to swallow the bait followed by an immediate strike.

Hi Graham, I can understand occasional deep hooking while rolling meat, because the bites can often be indecisive. However, you saw the fish take the bait on two occasions and struck instantly. How then do you explain the deep hooking? Why do you think the fish swallowed the bait so quickly...which is hardly normal in my comparatively limited experience.

I find this fascinating, and the mechanics, the what and why of it could give an insight into what may happen at times when you can't see what is going on. Perhaps the almost total lack of resistance of a free lined bait was the factor here, no tug from a heavy lead, no rattle of a very light lead moving across gravel to bring about the bolt response, so eat at leisure type scenario? Still strange that it swallowed it so quickly though.

Cheers, Dave.

dave it could be through snagged up baited lines or cut offs mat, incidently have you ever seen graham in his candy striped blazer sitting on the banks lol
smatest outfit there is:)

Yes Dave.

I think that because the fish took in midwater and inverted its possible that the open mouth off the bottom as against grubbing meant no resistance.

Both occasions on the Pats, after half dozen free samples.

Both hooked right at back of throat. Altho immediate strike bear in mind probably 5 feet of extra line out.

perhaps when rolling baits the fish grab and swallow the bait quickly before it rolls by . Also when using this method the bolt effect is much reduced so they don't self hook so easily

I understand that they're not all wrap arounds - I still sit by my rods and watch my isotopes - I just like the security of having the alarm on when fishing late sessions. I have 2 little kids so usually tired and have nodded off before now. No doubt I have missed bites but It's working for me at the minute. :p

I totally agree with Luke. I fish long sessions and very often on bait runners. I have never had or heard of a deep hooked barbel. So for this reason I will take the Neil smart and Terry Sumner approach of if I ain't seen it it doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

The total number of barbel caught by posters on this thread would be in the thousands, and the relative number of deep hooked Barbel collectively must be a tiny percentage. I myself have not yet had a deep hooked barbel. I think the Barbel have to be worried more by half-wits handling them badly after capture.

Back