• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Deadbait rods for Zander .

Gary Manders

What's would you recommend for Zander deadbaiting .I have a pair of Harrison 175s would they be suitable on the seven for Zander.?

I'm sure you'd get away with that Gary, but might be a little light for more testing conditions.

I'm using Carp rods of 2¼lb TC with gripper leads of 2½ or 3 oz as a starter on the lower 7rn. I've not done any real floodwater fishing yet but may need to increase the lead accordingly. Zeds aren't adverse to a bit of flow hence more powerful rods to fish more weight further out.

A softer rod should prevent hooks being thrown at the net with the head shaking, a common Zed trait.

Steve

Gary,

You could try looking for some old 2.25 test Fox Zandermasters; i owned a pair for around 5 years before flogging them to a mate, because i just wasnt getting to use them. I do regret that sale, as they were great rods. :(

Paul

I use my trusty Drennan Power Barbel rods down the Lower 7RN....been fine up to now and as they've coped well with flood water Barbel in the past, I fancy they'll be fine for the Z'ds too?

Might be a bit of fun if a big old river Pike decides it wants a scrap though !?!?

Paul

I've use the Century Cannons in 2.25lb test.
nice action and will cope with Pike.
Some bargains on ebay, as most carpers prefer 3lb plus rods now!?:confused:
dave

If the 1.75tc harrison is similar to my 2lb tc torrix then i would think it would be a bit too soft actioned. Although it is beneficial to have a bit of "give" when playing zander at the net, it is more important in my opinion to have a rod stiff enough to set the hooks on the strike. Zander have very bony mouths and poor hook holds are common, therefore you need a bit of backbone to get them in.

I use my 2.2 neoteric and 2.25 greys prowla pike rod usually. I would err on the side of increase in t/c rather than decrease. You are also highly likely to connect with pike - and big ones - whilst fishing for zeds.

If the 1.75tc harrison is similar to my 2lb tc torrix then i would think it would be a bit too soft actioned. Although it is beneficial to have a bit of "give" when playing zander at the net, it is more important in my opinion to have a rod stiff enough to set the hooks on the strike. Zander have very bony mouths and poor hook holds are common, therefore you need a bit of backbone to get them in.

I use my 2.2 neoteric and 2.25 greys prowla pike rod usually. I would err on the side of increase in t/c rather than decrease. You are also highly likely to connect with pike - and big ones - whilst fishing for zeds.

This is true Graham and it's easier if braid main is used instead of mono. I find I don't have to do anything other than tighten up and lean into the fish. My 'strikes' are nowhere near as forceful as when I was using mono. ;)

As David said - Plenty of S/H 2.25 rods appear on the bay. I'd go that route, no need to spend a fortune on 'special' kit

Steve

cheers guys for the feedback i have a wychwood big river rod 2lb test which don't get much use now so think I'll give it a go. :)

Back