• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dead maggots

Ste Whybrow

Seen these in the freezer at my local tackle shop ,my question is do I need to thaw out before using or put straight in the dropper as someone in the tackle shop said they will float if not thawed ,but didn’t no if he was taking the Mick or not thanks Ste

I remember when I was about 15 going fishing with my mates just float fishing with maggots and I’d gone to sit under my mates brolly at the top of the bank for some food as it started raining. I looked down at my peg and noticed my maggots crawling all over the peg as I’d left the lid of and obviously the rain had given them the chance to crawl out. I ran down and put the lid on and started kicking the maggots I’d trodden on into the lake and went back to my food. After a couple of minutes I could hear carp slurping away in the margins so went down and they were eating the floating dead maggots off the surface so quickly stuck a couple on the hook and held them on the surface. Ended up catching my first ever double lol

Thaw them out in water on arrival at the bank and leave them in water, that way they keep there colour and plumpness.
I’ve learned something there Mark, thank you. Only started using dead’s last year as part of my Tench feed and noticed that they go very dark and shrivel a bit. Now I know how to cure it :D

Back