• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dead Carp.

Colin Gordon

No Longer a Member
For balance, here are a few links to what I believe is the largest carp based forum on the net, certainly most demonstrating a greater level of perspective on the subject of recent big fish deaths, than a few members on here.

Two Tone: http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47139

Black Mirror/Mere: http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47209

Heather: http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46353

On the dead carp tribute thread, for me this single line post says more than every other accumulated together.
Simon Lush wrote:
"Total fish wipe out by some accounts, plus maybe invertebrates,different scenario altogether, great pity."

Oh Anderson, your attempt at provoking a response in the Two Tone thread, very poor, must try harder, even all your 'carp greats' name dropping, well.... Impressed, me, NO ! ! :p
(only ever heard of one before and it wasn't for inventing boilies or developing the 'bolt-rig' (or was it???)):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's a poem to end my post (not written by me).

Benson & Heather Gone

In the land of Britannia,
They don’t remain nameless,
Revered by all anglers,
Carp achieve celebrity status.

From “Alice†of Kent,
To “Zelda†in Nottingham,
Mirrors, Leathers, Linears…
Even “The Kiss of Death Common.â€

Endless days spent baiting,
With nights full of wish,
Bivvied and waiting,
For that one special fish!

The pursuit of a named one,
Is what we all yearn,
“Heather the Leatherâ€
Fell once, to the one Terry Hearn.

And in Kingfisher Lake,
Lived “the people’s fishâ€
Benson the common,
Only sixty-three accomplish.

But late in the summer,
Of the year twenty ‘o’ nine,
It was good Ol’ Benson’s,
Time to decline.

And sadly, as with all things,
Eventually, they must die,
Heather’s too swimming,
The big lake in the sky.

But we must go on,
In our camos or fleece,
Benson and Heather gone,
May you both… Rest In Peace.

The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Someone's Paean to Carp Death and Self Pain

So moved was I (Chairman, The) by the ditty that I issued an edict a short time ago: double gruel ration to The Guests in The Cellars (even Fly Boys), and No Pain (at least, until 5.00am of the 24th).

A deeply moved etc

Chairman

Hi men ,

Colin , I will use your first name as you seem to have forgotten what little manners you have , you have not herd of Martin Clarke ? , he will be deverstated :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D .

Hatter

Colin,

I don't think that Mark was trying to impress. If that was the only impression that was made then I truly feel you need to remove your head to somewhere with a little more sun

Hi men ,

Colin , I will use your first name as you seem to have forgotten what little manners you have , you have not herd of Martin Clarke ? , he will be deverstated :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D .

Hatter

Manners I have, Mark I refer you to an earlier post from your good self:
"Hi men ,

Gordon , I fished for years in 80,s in the Colne valley , and with some stroke pullers of the highest order. Ran the Carp Society with a mate for the Chiltern region for years ., helped out on many society fish-ins for the juniors . Count Rob Maylin , Martin Clarke , dan , doris , and many of the famous / almost famous five as mates , and can say carp anglers are no worse than most anglers chasing other species. Trouble perhaps is that they spend more time on the bank , there are alot more of them , and with greater numbers reflect a greater cross section of society . With spending longer time on the bank , comes the chance to do things to pass the time between action.

Iv got more problems with barbel anglers "rolling" baits in the swim above then below me , often wanting to go through me , making a great deal of disturbence which dont mater as they are off in 10 mins , or anglers wanting to fish opposite me on a small river etc , yes they are in all forms of our pastime .

Maylin once said to me in the pub , iv got a great line to go in the book , " who are they to judge us when we are just having fun ".

Good last line though Gordon !

Hatter "

Tis crass behaviour to retaliate I know but hardly for you to draw aspersions on my manners, with the greatest respect.

Paul - Very appropriate for most issues, contended or not. Many a different angle on these points I confer. But to rub peoples noses in what they believe in is another thing

Colin,

I don't think that Mark was trying to impress. If that was the only impression that was made then I truly feel you need to remove your head to somewhere with a little more sun

Jon, the sun has gone down round my part of the world but I can clearly see the full moon thanks.

Though like Mark, I opted to read only what suited me.:p

Paul - Very appropriate for most issues, contended or not. Many a different angle on these points I confer. But to rub peoples noses in what they believe in is another thing

I have not rubbed anyones nose in anything, merely stated that I saw having a funeral for a fish was rather pathetic and I stand by that.

I think it is a sad reflection of the times we live in, people humanising animals to suit themselves.

Respect to ones quarry, yes but to glorify it in death.... Some in this world need to get a grip.
All seems very irrational, an almost unexplainable desire to stick a hook in its bottom lip when alive and then to grieve in death like it was a close companion, IMO.

Hi men ,

Colin , my fault , why I put Gordon i dont know , perhaps its because i work with 2 people with that as their first name :D ! . Not trying to impress you at all , how could I ?, just pointing out that when fishing Savay / Hrefield / Pit 3 in the 80,s 90,s their was prob an even more cut throat / stroke pulling thing going on , and yet 20+ years later these are still friends , and having fished at the epicenter of carp angling ( untull Len Gurd made it Oxfordshire ) never had much in the way of problems with carp anglers :D:D.

Hatter

Back