• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Day ticket water on the Wye

Mike Hodgkiss

Morning chaps . A friend of mine is looking to take his son for a days barbel fishing on the Wye towards the end of the month . Can anyone recommend a decent stretch , ideally with some B and B / hotel / pub nearby so that they can get an early start and make a good day of it .From my own experience canoes can be a bit of a pain in the daytime during the summer so an area without paddlers would be ideal but not essential .I know Woody in Hereford is a good source of info , and I will suggest they contact him as well but if anyone knows of a nice quiet stretch [ a decent walk to access is not a problem ] that would be great . Many thanks in advance. If people would prefer to contact me direct please E mail at mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com rather than PM

Mike,

have a look at the Red Lion - Bredwardine. Stayed here with junior before, and ticks the boxes. Decent enough fishing, quiet and good ales. Food was a plus as well if I remember rightly.

Pete

Mike,
Have a look at Brobury house and gardens, at bredwardine bridge ,(broburyhouse.co.uk). They have holiday cottages and bed and breakfast accommodation. They have about 4 miles of river, some right in the grounds of the house and its really quiet. Had a week last year and the best fishing was after dinner and into dark. No doubles, but some nice fish.
Mike

Hiya Mike,

Would certainly second Peter's advice and hit the Red Lion stretch. Lovely beats there to go at. With the added bonus of the pub - should things get a little tuff. Friends use Brobury house for holidays too, which is downstream of the Red Lion day ticket water. Can't really go wrong with that when it's on.
Last time I checked, way further downstream, Bishopswood was still available on DT. Popular stretch that one. Woodys tackle if definitely worth a trip in for some local knowledge.

Many thanks for all your posts / E mail . I will pass all the information on to my friend . Tight lines for the new river season :)

Back