• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa tournament pro 13/15 match rod

Pete Collins

Hi all.. New member here and looking for advice on the above rod as a stick float /waggler rod on rivers like the wye ,severn etc ...would it powerful enough to handle the odd barbel while fishing for chub ? an expensive rod but most probably the last float rod I,ll be buying as intend to keep it long term
Do any members out there use this rod for float fishing running water and what are your thoughts of it ? would also appreciate any alternative views on any other float rods capable of handling barbel you would recommend with a budget up to £400

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete and welcome. I've only just returned and haven't barbel fished for 2 years! I love many hours away frustratingly. Looking to go this week if river behaves. I've done a bit of float work. What I'd say is there's plenty of info and discussions already on here do a few searches. There actually a couple of current ones. That's a top rod budget you'll get a magic stick for that. Again no expert but I'd be looking to the Harrison hardy world etc if that was the budget. Cheers Jon

Hi John I already own a hardy marksman supero 13 foot float rod and having had some decent chub on it I,m not sure how it would handle a barbel ? also still have a 13 ft Shakespeare boron match rod I bought in the early 80s (£200 at the time) just looking for a float rod around 15 foot long which I feel will give better presentation with the stick float/waggler

Yeah I personally use 14/15ft however if in the water length not as crucial. I've got a diawa connoisseur 15ft but yet to use with barbel had chub and carp on it. Not crazy light by acrolyte standards but any barbel Contender won't be in my eyes. The barbel I caught were using an browning syntec carp power match rod. It's 14 or 16ft handled barbel to 7lb no issues at all. Sounds like you've got some decent rods anyway

The consensus on here is that the acrolyte plus is a bit under gunned for whiskers. Dave I wrote that before your above reply! Not in response 👍

The consensus on here is that the acrolyte plus is a bit under gunned for whiskers. Dave I wrote that before your above reply! Not in response 👍

No problem! I’d agree if it was mainly Barbel Pete was looking to catch but as it’s mainly chub with the occasional Whisker the barbel trotting rods might be a bit on the heavy side

I have a 14’ Spectron xp that’s a great barbel trotter but I’d always rather use my acolyte if I can.

Most modern float rods will manage chub and the odd barbel. The number dwindles somewhat if you are after an out and out barbel float rod, especially if you are lucky enough to be on a river where big doubles are a regular feature.

I'd choose a different rod for fishing the waggler, but for trotting (top and bottom float) with the expectation of chub and the chance of a barbel, I'd go with the Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River.

I have never used any of their gear, but James Robbins has some cadence videos where he is trotting for barbel, they have a good range of rods and seem well liked.

Most modern float rods will manage chub and the odd barbel. The number dwindles somewhat if you are after an out and out barbel float rod, especially if you are lucky enough to be on a river where big doubles are a regular feature.

I'd choose a different rod for fishing the waggler, but for trotting (top and bottom float) with the expectation of chub and the chance of a barbel, I'd go with the Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River.

Its an expensive rod at £400 ish, but does look good.

Its an expensive rod at £400 ish, but does look good.
There was a time when you didn't have to pay quite such a high price. However, events of the last few years have resulted in the price you have to pay increasing steadily.

However, if I were forced into giving up most of my float rod hoard, the Browning Spheres would remain.

Thank you all for your input ...still undecided on which rod to go for so will pop along to the big one fishing show in march which is only up the road from me and have a look at the rods suggested and maybe get a bargain
Cheers Pete

Go for the sphere as Chris said.
A tournament is gonna set you back north of 400 quid anyway and they are generally “all rounder” rods.
The sphere is a dedicated river rod. Purpose built for that job. Also you can’t beat a solid Carbon tip on a trotting rod for hitting lightning fast bites and not bumping off small or delicate mouthed fish.
I have a couple of old spliced tip rods that are lovely for trotting. It’s nice to see them still on modern rods and even better, evolved into rods designed to bank a big en!

I’m going to buy a new float rod myself but something perhaps a little more powerful than the sphere but that’s only because decent barbel are the primary target and I’ve a good number of float rods suited to lighter and medium power work like acolytes
If I was after another river rod for chub roach and occasional barbel I’d put 400 into a sphere no problem.

Go for the sphere as Chris said.
A tournament is gonna set you back north of 400 quid anyway and they are generally “all rounder” rods.
The sphere is a dedicated river rod. Purpose built for that job. Also you can’t beat a solid Carbon tip on a trotting rod for hitting lightning fast bites and not bumping off small or delicate mouthed fish.
I have a couple of old spliced tip rods that are lovely for trotting. It’s nice to see them still on modern rods and even better, evolved into rods designed to bank a big en!

I’m going to buy a new float rod myself but something perhaps a little more powerful than the sphere but that’s only because decent barbel are the primary target and I’ve a good number of float rods suited to lighter and medium power work like acolytes
If I was after another river rod for chub roach and occasional barbel I’d put 400 into a sphere no problem.
How does the Eva handle feels on these Sphere rods? I am not a fan of this material, but seems most float rods are using it now.

How does the Eva handle feels on these Sphere rods? I am not a fan of this material, but seems most float rods are using it now.
I have EVA/Duplon on some of my carp and Daiwa Ivan Marks Whisker Kevlar and other float rods from years back and personally dislike the stuff because of its feel (especially when wet) and other aspects.
I'm not surprised at manufacturers using it as it is generally much cheaper, more consistent and offers easier machining than cork.
Cheers
Bob

I have EVA/Duplon on some of my carp and Daiwa Ivan Marks Whisker Kevlar and other float rods from years back and personally dislike the stuff because of its feel (especially when wet) and other aspects.
I'm not surprised at manufacturers using it as it is generally much cheaper, more consistent and offers easier machining than cork.
Cheers
Bob
I don't like the Eva/duplon for the same reason. I am OK with this stuff on feeder/ledgering rod since I am not going to hold it all the time, but on float rod...NO.

I shied away from the Spheres for quite some time due to the handles. I had some rather poor experiences with Duplon in the eighties and nineties. I also concede that fresh new cork looks much nicer. However, I've had Spheres for three years or so now and I wouldn't change the handles if it cost me nothing. They look newer than cork that has seen as much use.

I haven’t handled one and it’s certainly not a great appeal to me over cork but that said it looks like a lot of thought has gone into it so I’d definitely handle one to make my mind up before dismissing it

Back