• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa tournament 5000

They are a heafty lump
I serviced 3 earlier this autumn
Excellent for casting a long way
Probably looking at rods of 2.5lb or above for big tidal Trent work like hitting the sil at Collingham
Would be overkill for anything less I reckon
That’s what I was thinking too , I bought a couple new ones and added Weston speed caps as was gonna use them for carp , but decided to keep my shimanos now so got a pair of new tournaments surplus to requirements unfortunately

Agree they would suit higher TC applications / 13' rods etc for barbel. . .I use 5000 & 6000Ts exclusively for carp and find the 5000s pretty small in reality - they balance well on most rods so the slightly heavier weight (than more modern reels) becomes a little irrelevant IMO. If you are primarily static fishing for barbel with a tripod / sticks then no reason why you shouldn't give them an outing!

Everyone I know who has used them says the same. Keepers.
Made in Japan these reels which is nice.
Incredibly simple reels with just the very basics to do what they need to do exceptionally well.

Typical unchanged design. They wobble about like the back end of a big bird in a xxx film!! but it works and it’s bomb proof

Love the shielded oscillation drives. Only ever seen that in these old school Daiwas.

Made in Japan these reels which is nice.
Incredibly simple reels with just the very basics to do what they need to do exceptionally well.

Typical unchanged design. They wobble about like the back end of a big bird in a xxx film!! but it works and it’s bomb proof

Love the shielded oscillation drives. Only ever seen that in these old school Daiwas.
My 6000s have been pimped with super slow worm shafts / quick drags / carbon washers and short stroke handles which does improve the reels smoothness/balance but the 5000s (other than QD & Carbon) have been left unadulterated . . .wobbly but simple and bomb proof!

Back