• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa ss850 a pair of ********SOLD***********.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I absolutely love these reels and it pains me to write this but I’ve made the decision to go back to baitrunners permanently.

Imo there isn’t a reel as aestheticly pleasing as these they look the nuts to me and have so much character about them.
Only a couple of weeks ago I was just a minute away from a double take.
I always fish locked up until I hook something then I snap the baitrunner on the other reel. (Lesser of two evils n all that) you can’t do that with these and I have realized I’m a baitrunner guy….
I’ve given them a fair trial, they have landed afew big fish for me but my fishing really requires me the ability to go from locked up to free spool in a split second which these reels cannot do.

They are in lovely condition. Afew marks here n there as expected from 30 plus year old reels.
I found two spare spools for them in near mint condition which I’ve never used. I also got the original spool reducers which are perfect for backing out the spools for just putting 100m of line on. It’s a full house

These are “4000” sized reels made in Japan and are much nicer than the current Taiwan models of today. They feel better and have a rock solid reputation for being bullet proof.

I’m not prepared to split them just yet and I think £300 for the lot is very fair considering I’ve seen many rough single reels break the £100 mark without the extra spool.
93AACD9C-01C0-4BF9-B396-F5538022BA07.jpeg
9E9C53AC-3011-49B0-B815-79D93C133223.jpeg

To my knowledge Dimitri you are first to commit. Are you wanting them posted because I’ll have to work out a post cost if that’s the case or you can arrange to come and collect.
Entirely up to you.

What BR’s are you going back to Rich, Shimano or Daiwa ?

What BR’s are you going back to Rich, Shimano or Daiwa ?
I’ve gone with a pair of thunnus 4000’s bill.
I was quite impressed with them when I serviced Jon F’s earlier this year.
I don’t actually like the egg handles on them too much I will be looking at alternatives but otherwise great reels.
If the old school Daiwas could switch into freespool there would be no way I’d let them go but the 2 rod locked up set up is just too risky for me to continue with them.
I want to hit the run on the rod that’s hooked up and snap on the baitrunner on the other.

I don’t actually like the egg handles on them too much I will be looking at alternatives but otherwise great reels.
If the old school Daiwas could switch into freespool there would be no way I’d let them go but the 2 rod locked up set up is just too risky for me to continue with them.
I want to hit the run on the rod that’s hooked up and snap on the baitrunner on the other.
Very nice Rich. If you don’t like the “egg” the handles must be interchangeable I would have thought ? Perhaps a D or OC handle ?

TBH, I would loose the clutch or open the bail arm if I am in that situation.

Or get centrepins, all problem solved.

Back