• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DAIWA SENSOR LINE PROBLEMS

Hi Brian, i too have been a long time user of Sensor, never had a problem with the spools in the past. When the "NEW " Hyper Sensor came out, i switched to that, and again, never had a problem with the spools. Maybe, the original Sensor you've been buying is very very old stock, and that's why the spools have perished and become brittle and fragile. 🤷‍♂️

I have had a couple of Hyper spools that have had 1/2 of one of the round flat ends broken off l assumed it was damaged in transit, no problem with the line and use sensor sea line for cod fishing in winter as well .

Hi Alex
I bet you mean like this, brand new never been used and still has the wrapper on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi Ian
all the spools were purchased from local tackle shops.
Now the big news, i have just had a reply from Daiwa asking me to send back the defective 5 spools along with proof of purchase.
Now then, i wonder how many people have got a proof of purchase for a spool of line that was bought months ago a possibly a couple of years, Three spools were thrown in the refuse bin so i only have two left, so if i send them off i would have to pay postage and then perhaps receive two new spools which could possibly break in time.
I just cant believe a big company like Daiwa don't know this problem exists, i shall reply to the email and explain my thoughts and see what happens.
Brian.

Hi Brian,
I have had the same problems but only on spools purchased over the last 5 years ( never before ). I mailed them about 4 months ago with pics of the last failure so they can't claim ignorance. They asked for the breaking strain of the spools it occurred on ( there were various ) but offered no replacements ( not that I asked ). I mentioned that this issue had come up on a few angling forums and hoped that the problem would be looked into and addressed as like yourself I use Sensor and of late HyperSensor quite regularly.

I've got half a dozen spools - a mix of both Sensor and Hyper Sensor - and never had any of these issues with the spools.

Hi Guys
My line problem has once again reared its head, although its not actually the line, its the spool that it comes in.
Basically i have now had 5 spools that have broken causing the line to be completely destroyed and ready for the bin.
These bulk spools of line 2500 metres approx cost £11.00 so its getting expensive.
Has anybody had the same problem with these spools ?
Also can anybody recommend some bulk spools of 6lb line around 0. 24/ 0.25mm.
I shall be writing to Daiwa again asking why the plastic spools keep on breaking.
I will also point out that all my spools are kept it a box that's in a drawer in my garage, they are in the dark and are kept cool.
many thanks
Brian.
Same with me. Two out of two spools broke in last two years.

Thinking about it , it has happened to me as well. But with a spool of 40 lb which I use for traces on my sea angling gear. It was last year though . Luckily I managed to temporarily repair the end and would the line onto another spool with no visible damage to the line . I was making up a few traces last night and noticed the label I had stuck on the second spool .

David

Hi Alex
I bet you mean like this, brand new never been used and still has the wrapper on it.

I had this a few years ago, moaned to Daiwa and they sent me out quite alot of freebies in compensation.

Ultimately stopped using it though and just used daiwa method feeder line instead.

ATB

Yes Brian both spools I would assume we're new as they had the plastic wrapping and the brown elastic band .Although it would be nice to have a date somewhere when it was made. Like a lot of things slight tweeks to save money in making the line spools, not a good idea as some are not fit for purpose.

Hi Alex and all
these are some modifications to stop the spool from breaking.
The ones with the single nut and bolt should stop the problem and the ones with the two bolts are so that i can inset a pen or pencil and in my case a line spooler to run off line.
I have had a few replies from Daiwa who wanted my proof of purchase and to send the spools back for inspection, this i said was a waste of time as many anglers have complained and nothing has been done.
They offered me some 8lb and 10lb line which i declined, i told them i have enough line and don't need anymore

Attachments

• IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 80
After posting on this thread I had a rummage around in my line drawer. Down to the last hundred metres or so of 8lb sensor lol
IMG_1741.jpeg

Hi Guys
My line problem has once again reared its head, although its not actually the line, its the spool that it comes in.
Basically i have now had 5 spools that have broken causing the line to be completely destroyed and ready for the bin.
These bulk spools of line 2500 metres approx cost £11.00 so its getting expensive.
Has anybody had the same problem with these spools ?
Also can anybody recommend some bulk spools of 6lb line around 0. 24/ 0.25mm.
I shall be writing to Daiwa again asking why the plastic spools keep on breaking.
I will also point out that all my spools are kept it a box that's in a drawer in my garage, they are in the dark and are kept cool.
many thanks
Brian.
The boxes were probably delivered by EVRI. I had a parcel from them a while ago that looked like the van driver had run it over!

Being a former postie , I do think that some of the spools get bashed around as a jiffy bag is what they usually come in as well as inferior plastic penny pinching.Thanks Brian I will make one of those spool holders, it will save me running around the grass outside or getting tangled around a chair leg indoors.

Being a former postie , I do think that some of the spools get bashed around as a jiffy bag is what they usually come in as well as inferior plastic penny pinching.Thanks Brian I will make one of those spool holders, it will save me running around the grass outside or getting tangled around a chair leg indoors.
Hi All
i will not bother contacting Daiwa anymore they are a complete waste of time, they told me that they are out of stock of 6lb line.
Here is another device that is currently unavailable, the Daiwa line spooler, but you can make something similar that will do the job.
Here is my device, its very useful.
Good luck
Brian.
It looks like i have another problem, i cant download my picture for some reason.........sorry

Last edited:
try once more for photo,
..................hooray

SORRY GUYS I AM HAVING A FEW PROBEMS HERE.......I THINK DAIWA HAVE SPOOKED IT

Attachments

• IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Out of interest, this seasons purchase of sensor 8lb bulk spool, the abrasion of the line stinks to what it should be (IMO). I test every spool when I purchase, the original test appeared fine, but the line has been stretching and weakening very quickly. I have retested the line a couple of hunderd yards into the spool; it now only survives on average16-18 equal pulls across a house brick on the garden wall. Not a scientific test, but last years spool was going 27-30. This is very worrying, as I normally have full faith in it.
Anyone experienced the same?

Hi Alex
Likely the spool problem is from the additives used in the injection moulding process. I stopped using Sensor years ago. It was good twenty or so years ago but there are better products on the market now.

Back