• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa emblem br25a

Chris Thomson

Hi , looking at these and wondered if any users on here would comment on them , going to put one on my 11ft 1.75 barbel seeker

I used to use Castizm br25’s on mine when I had them and thought the a good combination, plenty of winding power for those strong fish.

Great if you really need to do some casting, wide spool and loads of cranking power. I used them for carp fishing but did try them on an 11ft 1.75 and it was too big for my liking, matched up nicely with a 2.25lb though. It will work obviously but just unnecessarily big in my opinion.

Agree with the comments about them being too big for a 11ft 1.75 rod.

I've had the Castizm 25a's (which are identical in size) for 7 years or more on my 12' 2.5lb TC carp rods and they balance perfectly on them.

Hi Chris,

Are you coming up to Newark this weekend? If so, I'll bring one of my Daiwa Emcast 25a reels with me for you to have a look at. I believe the baitrunner version you're looking at is a similar size but with the added weight and length of the baitrunner drag system. Might help you decide either way.
Cheers
Tommo

Hello Chris, I have Castizms for fishing the bigger rivers with big leads but the majority of the time I use the GTI 11' 1.75 rods and I used to rely upon my Caldia 4000Xs which balanced the rod well. I do nod off occasionally and thought that a free spool reel would be beneficial.

I opted for the Daiwa Tournament 4012 as a replacement and they are 4000 size reel. They are very well built and having used them I cannot fault them. The drag was very smooth and they are mag sealed so a good clean is all that they really need. They are a similar price to the Castizms but you get three spools with each reel. The capacity is smaller but they do take about 125 metres of 15lbs line which is plenty for most medium river fishing.

I recently got two of these in the 5000 size for my roach rods. They might seem on the big size but after comparing the 2500, 3000, 4000 and 5000., I settled on the 5000 for the spool size for (rightly or wrongly) increased casting distance on some of the bigger waters I plan to fish. Also I can use them for bigger stuff!

Reviews are good and if I wasn't geared up, I'd strongly consider them on a 1.75 rod.

I use these on both my 12' 2.25s and my 13' 2.75s barbel rods - also use one on my 10' Spomb / Spopper rod and its perfect. Castizm BR25s are exactly the same body but magsealed and come with a spare spool; Emblem BR25As are the poor mans version but perform perfectly - much prefer them to my previous Shimano narrow spool / sticky rear drag reels . . don't find them overly large, heavy or unbalanced on any of the aforementioned set ups however I am a carp angler and used to big-pit reels - these are technically a baby big pit . . .

GS BR5000s are tiny and designed for 10yr olds!

Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 size. Try them, you won't look at Daiwa or Shimano again
Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 size. Try them, you won't look at Daiwa or Shimano again 😉
Hi Richard,
Would you consider the 5000 model similar in size to a 4000 size reel. Looking for something to pair on my 11 footers.
Thinking the bigger spool size would help with spring tenching too....
Cheers,
Steve

I’ve two Emblem BR25a’s for sale if anyone is interested? Reason for sale, I find them too heavy and bulky on the rods that I USE. Would suit a “casual carper” I think. I bought them as an impulse as I was recommended them for long range Tenching but not suitable for ME!

Back