• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa castizm br 25a or 25qd

Hi all ...anyone using these reels for barbel fishing and thoughts on what they think of them ?
If you want to save some £ I've got a pair of Emblem BR25A - same size body and spool as Castizm BR - same cranking power - pretty much the same weight - pretty much the same reel barring 2 ball bearings and a paint job

If you want to save some £ I've got a pair of Emblem BR25A - same size body and spool as Castizm BR - same cranking power - pretty much the same weight - pretty much the same reel barring 2 ball bearings and a paint job
The mag sealed bearings are a nice touch Chris.

The mag sealed bearings are a nice touch Chris.
lol I'm just jealous - being honest there's very little difference apart from the mag seal / spare spool and £££'s - I think you'll soon be using your Castizms on all your rods Rich - they are a different level to shimbongos - once a Daiwa convert always a Daiwa convert!!!

I actually nearly lost a fish on mine the other week as hadn't reset the front drag and forgot I wasnt using my QD 2600s - slightly dodge moment under pressure trying (and failing) to give line - had to backwind in panic ffs!

lol I'm just jealous - being honest there's very little difference apart from the mag seal / spare spool and £££'s - I think you'll soon be using your Castizms on all your rods Rich - they are a different level to shimbongos - once a Daiwa convert always a Daiwa convert!!!

I actually nearly lost a fish on mine the other week as hadn't reset the front drag and forgot I wasnt using my QD 2600s - slightly dodge moment under pressure trying (and failing) to give line - had to backwind in panic ffs!
I’m definitely a daiwa convert Chris. Their reels are just so lovely to use.
I’m not against shimano though mind. They’ve given me nothing but excellent service for years and years and I’d be a fool to say otherwise.

Nothing wrong with shimano reels whatsoever. I’ve never in over 30 years had a premature failure from a shimano I’m just really loving my Daiwas at the moment.

Yes your right the Emblem looks near on identical to my castizm reels. Did you not get a spare spool with them then?

I’m definitely a daiwa convert Chris. Their reels are just so lovely to use.
I’m not against shimano though mind. They’ve given me nothing but excellent service for years and years and I’d be a fool to say otherwise.

Nothing wrong with shimano reels whatsoever. I’ve never in over 30 years had a premature failure from a shimano I’m just really loving my Daiwas at the moment.

Yes your right the Emblem looks near on identical to my castizm reels. Did you not get a spare spool with them then?
No spare with the Emblems hence the price point - however I've got 3x (one is redundant / may become a dedicated spopper reel) that I picked up at a bargain price.

Still not sure on baitrunners full stop and whether they are a true advantage for river fishing or not - being a QD convert for other fishing I'm currently fantasizing over a pair of Whisker 25 QD's for Barbel - maybe on my next milestone!

No love for Okumas? 😛

Just sold a pair of Shimano Medium Baitrunner LC 5500 CI4 reels which are a fantastic reel for Barbel fishing.

I had bought a pair of Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders last year in 6000 size and for only £80 each. That made the Shimanos redundant. And for only a third of the money.

Also got a pair of the Cadence CS10 5000 feeder reels that I've modified into QD reels, might even give them a go at some point for Barbel. Usually in use on my deadbait rods.

interesting, Ive got the Daiwa Emblems on my Carp rods and whilst I think they are good reels I think I prefer the Shimmys that I use for all other fishing, I just prefer the look and feel.

interesting, Ive got the Daiwa Emblems on my Carp rods and whilst I think they are good reels I think I prefer the Shimmys that I use for all other fishing, I just prefer the look and feel.
Depends what model of Emblems you've got Cliff - they've moved a long way from the Emblem S/Z/X 5000T or indeed the Z/X 5000A (which I still have 4x of!) or even the current 35/45 SCW reels. . . the BR25As in both Castizm & Emblem variants are compact / lightweight / with a short but wide spool - ideal for barbel IMO - front drag and with a baitrunner - much better than the smaller spooled / rear drag shimanos for both casting, playing and cranking!

Chris, Ive got the BR25As, as I said they are very good, just prefer the Shimano's as I also tend to prefer rear drag being the heathen that I am !!

Chris, Ive got the BR25As, as I said they are very good, just prefer the Shimano's as I also tend to prefer rear drag being the heathen that I am !!
Apols my bad! However you are def a heathen with regards inferior rear drags, whether it be Shimmy or Daiwa! The only rear drag I can live with is the one on my Daiwa 125M closed face and thats only because I think it looks cool!

My carp fishing friend uses a Whisker 25qd for his margin rod, very nice reel, as are a lot of the Daiwa's. I own 2 older 3012 TDM's which stay on my commercial rods.

I'm a Shimano fan though. All my match reels are Supermatch RE's from way back. I also own 3 5010's and 17 spools that all interchange. I do like the Daiwa reels though, but dread to think how much it would cost me to change what I've got for Daiwa's

My carp fishing friend uses a Whisker 25qd for his margin rod, very nice reel, as are a lot of the Daiwa's. I own 2 older 3012 TDM's which stay on my commercial rods.

I'm a Shimano fan though. All my match reels are Supermatch RE's from way back. I also own 3 5010's and 17 spools that all interchange. I do like the Daiwa reels though, but dread to think how much it would cost me to change what I've got for Daiwa's
An arm n a leg I can tell ya. Not cheap reels to be buying

And being the tart I am, I wouldn't be happy with the cheaper range. Tournament or TDR. Gulp!!

Wbisker 25 qd, next on my list..... so light and a perfect size.

Wbisker 25 qd, next on my list..... so light and a perfect size.
I have been looking at those along with the tournament feeder…only seen the feeder reel in the flesh but shop is ordering in the whisker to compare, absolute quality reel, and price tag to match

https://www.daiwasports.co.uk/product/20-whisker-25qd

Back