• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa basia barbel rods

Don’t dismiss the 2.25 I went to Johnson Ross to buy a pair of 2.75 ..but they had one 2.25 in stock as well so i tried them side by side ended up buying the 2.25 and ordered another

Don’t dismiss the 2.25 I went to Johnson Ross to buy a pair of 2.75 ..but they had one 2.25 in stock as well so i tried them side by side ended up buying the 2.25 and ordered another
The test curve is very much dictated by what is the payload and how far.
Yours don’t see much more than 3-4oz maximum so 2.25 is ideal.
They’d be boarding on useless if 5 or 6oz was to go 50 yards or more but I know the 2.75’s will do that relatively easily

As far as I can see we don’t actually know what John intends to do with them.

Thanks terry,
Not dismissed any yet cos it’s a struggle to find any shops with any in to compa
The test curve is very much dictated by what is the payload and how far.
Yours don’t see much more than 3-4oz maximum so 2.25 is ideal.
They’d be boarding on useless if 5 or 6oz was to go 50 yards or more but I know the 2.75’s will do that relatively easily

As far as I can see we don’t actually know what John intends to do with them.
I only fish the Trent, middle and tidal, so big leads and feeders a lot of the time. So I think 2.75’s, ideally getting other rods for lighter work

Thanks terry,
Not dismissed any yet cos it’s a struggle to find any shops with any in to compa

I only fish the Trent, middle and tidal, so big leads and feeders a lot of the time. So I think 2.75’s, ideally getting other rods for lighter work
The 1.75s make amazing Tench and Bream rods. 80yds plus no problem...

Thanks terry,

You won’t be disappointed

Thanks terry,

I had a set. The 2.75’s will launch 6oz across that tidal no issues at all
With that sort of weight on the blank preloads beautifully before you let her fly

I did years of carp fishing with a pair of 2.25's. Got a pb of over 30, never had an issue with them. Would buy again too. Sold when I got basia barbel 2.75 , loved those too but overgunned for carp I then fished for.

I bought the 2.25 version few weeks ago from Bobco tackle, but the tip section of rod is not straight, it is slightly blended, so I have to send it back. The blank is really nice, maybe the best you can get in the UK, but the building quality and QA really let me down.

I bought the 2.25 version few weeks ago from Bobco tackle, but the tip section of rod is not straight, it is slightly blended, so I have to send it back. The blank is really nice, maybe the best you can get in the UK, but the building quality and QA really let me down.
I bought 2 a few years ago and the cork handle was fitted upside down on one of them 🤣
Daiwa sorted it very quickly for me to be fair but I must admit I did wonder how on earth have they managed that.

You’re not the first person to tell me this week about Daiwa rod sections sitting on the piss. I’ve not seen it before personally but it definitely doesn’t fill you with confidence hearing about it especially on top end uk made rods.

I bought 2 a few years ago and the cork handle was fitted upside down on one of them 🤣
Daiwa sorted it very quickly for me to be fair but I must admit I did wonder how on earth have they managed that.

You’re not the first person to tell me this week about Daiwa rod sections sitting on the piss. I’ve not seen it before personally but it definitely doesn’t fill you with confidence hearing about it especially on top end uk made rods.
Its not just Daiwa I’ve had it recently on a Shimano lunamis a top end Japan model sent it back the second one came it’s a lot better but not 100%
I’ve also seen free spirit rods like it

I once drove to Manchester to look at a pair of 2.25 Basias. Both of the top sections would only fit on the male sections no more than 20mm. I could have got some wet and dry on it etc, when I got home. Alas it didn't feel right and I walked away. If your buying the best at top price, it's got to be perfect. Good luck in your Quest John...
Just to add, the ones I have got are perfect in everyway and wouldn't swap em for any other rod out there...

Last edited:
They might be the best rod in the world but they wouldn't be getting my hard-earned if that's what they give to quality control.

Feb '20 when covid was just breaking, TFT ran an auction for a new 2.75 baisia barbel. Not one bid, until I did, at last minute at the start price of 159.99 delivered. I still think that was one of the best bargains I ever had on line. Loved the rod too despite all the negativity I read on here, which I was happy to believe and accept. It worked for me too save was overpowered for my use. The blank was magnificent. Sold and delivered it to a guy who lived at Kew who wanted it for Thames work. He loved it too.
Have to say though for all round work, that is something likely to get a pasting, the infinities, were a great workhorse.

What reel are you using on 2.25 basia Terry? I am thinking of ss1000/2600 since the rod is so light

Back