• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa 20 GS BR LT 5000C

Chris Belcher

Senior Member & Supporter
. . .Barbel fishing is almost as bad as carping for 'new gear' syndrome . . .!

Have been using my trusty 20yr old plus ye olde Shimano Aero GT 5500's for the river (normally part of my small water / floater fishing / carp stalking set up) and they are fine in principle in terms of weight balance and baitrunner system - however they are 'sticky' in terms of rear drag (which I've never liked) and also have a narrow small spool which means a lot of twist and more frequent line changes etc . . .

Have never used a baitrunner on my main carp rods (unnecessary) but understand the need for rivers etc so have been looking at these Daiwas which are relatively new as they seem to tick all boxes - main front drag / rear baitrunner drag - anyone got any experience in using them for barbel . . .?

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
I like the look of these. I’m after a couple of new reels myself before next season so interested to see if anyone has used these

don’t see the need for baitrunners on rivers either i think it’s a personal preference though ....much prefer a QD myself

I've got the 3000, used it first time yesterday chub fishing, enjoyed using it good smooth clutch and baitrunner, its slightly smaller than my 4000 oc,

Attachments

• 20210220_163531.jpg
    20210220_163531.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,928
I can't get on with a front drag, it just doesn't feel right to me to be fiddling around at the spool when there's a fish pulling back. In my match fishing days I was always a backwinder, so maybe that's something to do with it. I find it easier with a rear drag.

don’t see the need for baitrunners on rivers either i think it’s a personal preference though ....much prefer a QD myself
I don’t use them if fishing a single rod but if your using 2 then I like the piece of mind of being able to flick one on if you got a fish on one of the rods. I wouldn’t use the bait runner before I got a bite though

I've got the 3000, used it first time yesterday chub fishing, enjoyed using it good smooth clutch and baitrunner, its slightly smaller than my 4000 oc,
Do you think 5000
I don’t use them if fishing a single rod but if your using 2 then I like the piece of mind of being able to flick one on if you got a fish on one of the rods. I wouldn’t use the bait runner before I got a bite though
I don't like baitrunners in general (more things to go wrong) and for all my sets of carp reels (Tournies / Big Pits) much prefer front drag only . . .but for using two rods with no alarms on the river a bait runner is less faff than fiddling with a front drag set up every cast . . .with the 5010s the drag is sticky and not particularly 'progressive' hence liking the look of these Daiwas (rear drag on baitrunner function only) . . . .that and the gold spool / retro handle . . .!

I can't get on with a front drag, it just doesn't feel right to me to be fiddling around at the spool when there's a fish pulling back. In my match fishing days I was always a backwinder, so maybe that's something to do with it. I find it easier with a rear drag.
I’m the same, find rear clutches much easier. Any decent rear clutch reels out there?

I have the Daiwa 20 GS BR LT 5000 C and so far they look quality a similar size to shimano 4000 D/OC really nicely finished in all honesty I'd like them I prefer slightly larger but all companies seen to prefer either small or massive with nothing in between (we all miss the 5000 shimano size). Another down side is no spare spool although I can live with that. All I need to do is actually catch a fish.​

I had my first blank with my new ones on Saturday. If past performance is anything to go by it may be some time before I can comment on how the perform when connected to a fish. However, they seem well made and nicely balanced. I would echo Clive's comments, they are more of a 4000 size than a 5000.

I had a rod that took me best part of a year to catch something with. I didn’t fish as much that year but still went enough to expect a few fish. Thought about getting rid of it lol. As soon as I had one though I started ripping them out.

I had a rod that took me best part of a year to catch something with. I didn’t fish as much that year but still went enough to expect a few fish. Thought about getting rid of it lol. As soon as I had one though I started ripping them out.
Just christened my new river rods (well one of them anyway but as they were sitting together it still counts) two days ago with a nice double (and a PB for me!) so this afternoons sesh is hopefully going to be a banker . . !

arrived today, not a true 5000 in size, more a 4000, but should be fine for my smallish river. lighter, less bulky than my 4000D, seems to balance my 1.75 torrix nicely. time will tell.

arrived today, not a true 5000 in size, more a 4000, but should be fine for my smallish river. lighter, less bulky than my 4000D, seems to balance my 1.75 torrix nicely. time will tell.
Would be great if you could report back re casting / retrieve rates / drag etc plus photos! None of my local tackle shops have stock at the moment .

Back