• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

custom baits

If your making the base mix not got a clue lol if your making bait from a ready made base mix then all you need is eggs and the liquid/s. Also a good mrs who doesnt mind the kitchen smelling of your chosen bait make sure the consistancy is bang right as it can crack the mix open when you roll it and if its to dry and if its too wet it can stick mate (trial and error)

Lewis,

knowing where i advise you to stick to a really good quality base mix, preferably milk based. will message you with more

I think Ian got fed up and did the off months ago,at least that's what he said he was going to do and it seems he has, shame, his stuff was always worth a read.

knowing where i advise you to stick to a really good quality base mix, preferably milk based. will message you with more

Cheers John,

Im looking to either make my own baits or get a bait company I know to roll it for me, milk protein is the way forward ive heard, thats what fred wilton uses predominantly??
I got an idea of some ingrediants but dont know which ones work together.
I had liver, frankfurter ,dairy Cream, minamino , milkprotein, and possibly some form of spice cayenne chilli paprika??? in mind. Dont know where to go with it really.

I mean if it was for carp fishing id go down the lt94, krill meal. Glm, minamino, soluble fish proteins squild n.shellfish labels. Etc but not brilliant with milk protein bases etc

Won't delve into fishy/meaty baits apart from saying they can be very effective with relatively few ingredients and make cheap baits. Bfw B8 was an example (all those years ago and it had Krill meal (as did some others) before 'Everything Krill Wunderbait' that seems to have hit us recently!
Milks - Caseins (lactic, rennet, acid), caseinates, lactalbumin, egg albumin, cattle rearing powders (LamLac, Vitamealo) make good building blocks.
Remember that fish see oblivious to how much ingredients cost - so don't get caught.
Other good effective additions are Robin Red, GLM, Predigested/Enzyme treated fish meal.
Certain oils can aid the rolling and nutritional process. Look for oils that remain liquid at lower temperatures and soluble additives.
Flavours and essential oils - keep them low.
Cheers
Bob

Lewis,

If you want a quality proven base mix try Nutrabaits Trigga Ice...;)

Regards

Bill

Hi men,

Many years ago I was looking at milk based bait , or at least a percentage of the finished base mix . Due to problems getting and storing the powders I turned to using nutra baits milk base mix . Ready done , right combo / mixture/ percentages ready done , and well tested . Add label / flavour , it takes out any guess work.

Hatter

Hi men,

Many years ago I was looking at milk based bait , or at least a percentage of the finished base mix . Due to problems getting and storing the powders I turned to using nutra baits milk base mix . Ready done , right combo / mixture/ percentages ready done , and well tested . Add label / flavour , it takes out any guess work.

Hatter

Which is no longer available (if you mean Hi-nu-val), due to the cost of one of the ingredients apparently.

At a very basic level the first and arguably most important ingredient is your protein. I like to aim for 40-50% crude protein content (fishmeals, milk proteins, animal proteins, maize protein etc), then you need carbohydrates (soya, semolina, etc), lipids/fats (fish oils, hemp oil, nut oils, etc), binders (eggs, egg powder, etc) and a pinch of rock salt. With your oils try and get a balance of omega 3 and 6, and also blend in oils which don't thicken too much in lower water temperatures. Your bait should also have a well rounded amino acid profile, to avoid having any first limiting amino acids. Having soluble ingredients is also key to a good bait IMO - the more solubles the quicker the breakdown of the bait though. Finally you need to decide on a flavour, as what the bait tastes like is key. Sweet, savoury, salty, the choice is endless. I tend to combine natural flavours with a little synthetic as well as some essential oils. Don't go OTT though. Then there are a host of other ingredients which can be added to this. Don't be put off by some of the language used though - feeding triggers and appetite stimulants aren't wonder ingredients, they are nearly all things taken from the human food industry, and which any half decent bait will include. If you're really interested in bait making have a look at Tim Richardson's stuff.
You can make a bait which will catch for very little, but you can make a much better bait for not much more, and then you can make another bait for a whole lot more which is no better. Some ingredients are extremely expensive and use buzz phrases like unique amino acid profile. If your bait already has a rounded amino acid profile, is the inclusion of this going to improve your bait ? Also lumping in every "top" ingredient isn't necessarily going to create a good bait, and will cost you a fortune.
I used to use milk proteins in very pure form but after experimenting discovered it's really not necessary, they work really well if not better when combined with other ingredients. It also reduces the cost considerably.
Bob, you're right, krill really does seem to have become the Eureka bait ingredient. That's the power of marketing I guess.

Nick C

Bit more of a technical question.

If i were to put hemp oil in my bait, and the other anglers on the stretch were using a lot of hemp in there ground bait mix to the extent of fish perhaps spooking on it would the pulling power/attractiveness of the milk proteins overcome that problem, in this case hemp could be any other overused ingredient???

Bit more of a technical question.

If i were to put hemp oil in my bait, and the other anglers on the stretch were using a lot of hemp in there ground bait mix to the extent of fish perhaps spooking on it would the pulling power/attractiveness of the milk proteins overcome that problem, in this case hemp could be any other overused ingredient???

Lewis perhaps this will answer your question ?

fishingwarehouse.co.uk - fishing news, views, information & a secure tackle shop - the top UK angling site!

Back