• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crap Reel handles.

Alex Dalton

Have had two handles part company on Daiwa black widow BR 5000A , both went, just at the pin joint whilst reeling in ,managed to put a older spare handle off a regal reel , but have not been impressed with quality of handles .

Jon Young

Managed to get a double handled one ,still left with one that the handle has parted company at the ball joint, the old regals had much more robust handles in my opinion .
Loved my old regal. Still have it as back up. I got one off eBay a year or so back for my mate for just over 20 quid and it was absolutely mint. Didn’t look as though it had ever been used. Last time I looked on eBay they were selling for the same price I got mine New Years ago

Alex Dalton

Will have to get another regal as a back up, very robust with a chunky bail arm, like the click, click, sound as a fish takes line on the baitrunner.

Nick Hodgkinson

why i only buy Shimano - lol!

but i have owned Daiwa reels in the past such as the SS300 and Tournies - frankly non failed to impress

i'm greedy but i stopped counting my Shimano reels when i got over 40!

everything from the Big Blue baitrunner (thunnus in USA) - through many 'white' Stradics made in Japan - then the Technium MGS in the small sizes (probably the best reel EVER made?) - Rareniums in various guises - Aero Feeder (new generation) - Aernos - multiple 'baitrunners in smaller sizes

Last edited:

Alex Dalton

Managed to find a very large older Daiwa baitrunner reel with no decals , now,t wrong with handle and a silent bait-runner, will have to road test in a few weeks , did sell a shimano Aero, as I like to not be a so much stuff that gathers dust in the corner mechant.

Paul Richardson

guilty as charged your honour!

bit like a magpie - buy shiny new toys

in my defence i do use the reels (so probation?)
I have used Shimano for 20+ years and pick up 6000/8000 Aero GTs ( 1990's style) when I see them at the right money as great for barbel, river piking
Get them serviced every season and wouldn't swap them for anything. Not in your league but I must have 9 or 10. Just nice to be able to pick a rod/reel off the rack for a specific river/swim/ condition without having to swap and change all the time.
Tried Daiwa on 4000 series and really liked them but just not built to last. Clutch/spool release knob broke after a couple of barbel sessions.
Just ordered some Cadence reels to replace them as they had a deal on -BOGOF
Look and feel cracking reels for the money but time will tell.