• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cracking varnish

Steve Lewis

Just had a quick sort through my main rods to check if any need a bit of a clean and I noticed that on one of them the varnish is cracking in several places around the eyes where it has evidently gone brittle for some reason. The eyes and whipping seem fine, but is it something that needs proper attention and if so is it just a case of peeling off the loose stuff and then giving it a fresh coat or two of varnish, or does it need something more? It's only a mid-range Shimano feeder, but it's my go-to rod for casual pleasure trips to stillwaters for bream and silvers, so it is one I'd like to keep in active service if possible.

EDIT - balls, sorry, I meant to put this in the technical help forum😖

Just had a quick sort through my main rods to check if any need a bit of a clean and I noticed that on one of them the varnish is cracking in several places around the eyes where it has evidently gone brittle for some reason. The eyes and whipping seem fine, but is it something that needs proper attention and if so is it just a case of peeling off the loose stuff and then giving it a fresh coat or two of varnish, or does it need something more? It's only a mid-range Shimano feeder, but it's my go-to rod for casual pleasure trips to stillwaters for bream and silvers, so it is one I'd like to keep in active service if possible.

EDIT - balls, sorry, I meant to put this in the technical help forum😖
Water will work it’s way between the cracks and under the varnish. You’ll then get these horrible milky spots where it can get in and sit for ages. As a matter of caution you should always dry off rods and never put them in bags wet anyway.
you can’t remove the varnish without removing the whipping as well because the varnish has penetrated the thread. To make a perfect job it’s a full whipping replacement.
If it was mine and it’s just a bit of clear coat cracking around the leg exit point I’d place it in the airing cupboard for a day to dry out any potential moisture,
rub a little key into the cracks and carefully dot a good clear coat epoxy over them. I’ve done this on my own rods when the rings get knocked and it cracks the varnish around the leg. If done well the repairs are hardly noticeable and still intact years later. I’ll put a pic up of one I did shortly.

This is the most recent one
EEF37A25-ED64-4414-B206-403A9E36A641.jpeg
. It was cracked right round the point where the ring leg exits the whipping. I knocked the section over and the guide hit the floor cracking the varnish.
You can see my repair if you look for it but to be honest it’s never going to be noticeable especially on the underside. Important thing is the key and take your time. I put the clear coat in the crack with a cocktail stick and gently flex the ring to work it right in the crack then coat over it.

Back