• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crab or Lobster boilies?

Paul Pittman

Have caught on both and just about to put an order in for 10k but cant decide which to get. Trying to stick to just one bait this season and also to be able to use it for a little carping. It will be spicy with garlic and made by Carp Company.

Would you go for crab or Lobster?

Hmm are you fishing in generally clear water? Are the boilies light or dark? And what size do you intend to use?
If it was me id go lobster but have some crab flavour to hand.

neither, knock your own up and you've got the opportunity to build in attraction with your mix ingredients without buying a product masked with a synthetic flavour.

if your intent on a crustacean "smell" (cos thats all thats in the bottle!) then look at using things like crab meal/anchovy/n-butyric/liver/yeast etc in your recipe. It'll keep your nose happy but more importantly be of some benefit/more attraction to the fish that eat it! If you want a few pointers drop me a pm.

Wouldnt trust myself making my own, i struggle to knock up paste!!!

The lads at carp company always produce top baits for me at a good price so ill keep using them for now.

Have ordered the spicy crab and garlic on an icelandic red base, 5k of boilies and 5k of barrels.

Had very many years of making my own - remember phone chats with Geoff Kemp, Rod Hutchinson and a few others in the relatively early days. Still have many ingredients in deep freeze. Bait additives can come and go (Krill is a recent example but has been around for many years - we incorporated it in the Bfw bait B8 many moons ago). However, these days just get some commercial baits and tweak them. Far less freezer space.
Tweaked pellets can be very good - when the original elips (the orange ones) seemed to start loosing their effectiveness then SBS Red Crab was a good flavour to use for this. It seems this flavour went through a few changes and got more pungent rather than its mellow version I used.
Most baits will catch barbell..........but some better and more consistently than others.
Cheers
Bob

Back