• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Costing the earth

Dave Taylor

BBC Radio 4 - Costing the Earth, River Quality
Came across this link when looking in on 'Avon Diary' this evening.
I'm sure John L. won't mind me passing it on.
Interesting to listen to different individual reasons and opinions on how good or bad our riverine environment is. Ought to mention that it's a radio link, so unless you have a spare half an hour to put the head phones on its not for you.

Phosphate pollution in rivers

You might like to read this. It seems that the main problem is phosphates in "treated" sewerage rather than in farm run off but there is also an issue with the lack of water flow in some rivers (caused by water abstraction ?) and other undefined ecosystem problems.

Although I have no proof, I suspect that road run off is also a problem in some areas? Maybe there are just too many houses, roads, people etc. to ever expect to get our rivers back to what they were?

Phosphorus river pollution traced back to sewage

BBC Radio 4 - Costing the Earth, River Quality
Came across this link when looking in on 'Avon Diary' this evening.
I'm sure John L. won't mind me passing it on.
Interesting to listen to different individual reasons and opinions on how good or bad our riverine environment is. Ought to mention that it's a radio link, so unless you have a spare half an hour to put the head phones on its not for you.

Thanks Dave, you saved me a job! I listened to the programme and have been meaning to put a link up here. Really interesting and well worth a listen.

Back