• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Costa del mar polarised sun glasses

Jamie Dawson

Hi all,as any one used any of these glasses,are they as good as their write up suggests,I'm finding my eyesight is slowly getting worse and wonder if these would make spotting fish any clearer than the couple of pairs I have now.all the best jamie.

Yes mate there as good as right ups I have oakleys,ESP, and got these last season and yes get them there the dogs dangles :D

Hi all,as any one used any of these glasses,are they as good as their write up suggests,I'm finding my eyesight is slowly getting worse and wonder if these would make spotting fish any clearer than the couple of pairs I have now.all the best jamie.

Jamie, if your eyesight is getting worse then wouldn't corrective lenses from an optician be the starting point?

Jamie, Ian is spot on - get your eyes tested first! If you would like any help with corrective Polaroids give me a shout.

Jamie, I couldn't agree more with Ian. I need one type of corrective prescription lens for reading and another for distance work...as in fish spotting. I thought my distance vision was pretty good...until I was convinced by my optician to try corrective lenses, and they were an absolute revelation (BAD pun :D)

If your eyes are not what they were, then the best polarised sunglasses in the world will not make any difference. You need polarised sunglass lenses made up to your prescription...you will love the difference.

Cheers, Dave.

To be effective you need the frame to wrap around so that no extraneous light gets in behind and the trouble is what you want in a polarised pair of sunglasses is only available at a silly price in prescription lens.

Like most people of 40+ yrs I suffer from presbyopia, an age related condition which affects near vision but it is progressively affecting my far vision. Also as we age our eyes are less sensitive to light and so we do not have as much visual accuity.

In everyday life I wear varifocal lenses but these would be prohibitively expensive in polarised and a wrap round style. So what I do is use my normal glasses for close work like tying hooks and keep a pair of polarised glasses around my neck on a lanyard for fish spotting/glare reduction.

I have found the Precision Angling polarised sunglasses extremely good and if you look on ebay they are reasonably priced

Thanks for replys gents,I wear prescription glasses for driving,had some polaroids made up for me in spec savers but find them worse than my normal fishing Polaroids.all the best

Thanks for replys gents,I wear prescription glasses for driving,had some polaroids made up for me in spec savers but find them worse than my normal fishing Polaroids.all the best

Jamie, the polarising filters that 'cut-price' (?) high street chain opticians use are cheap and nasty...I had some made up by one of them as well.....and I agree, they are cra*. I suspect many people think one polarised lense is as good as any other...and having had the experience you had, that belief probably seems truer to you than ever. However, get a decent eye test done, then some sunglasses made up to your prescription with a Drivewear polarised lens or similar...and you will be amazed. Yes they are expensive....but so is a new rod....and being able to see what you are doing while you are fishing is surely every bit as important :D:D

Just my thoughts Jamie, for what they are worth.

Cheers, Dave

Back