• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Corn Steep Liquor

Someone might correct me on this, but I've always believed that CSL is just that, and that no brands are likely to better or worse than each other. Its a by-product of glucose extraction from maize.

I guess it depends on how much you plan on using, but there are lot of animal feed merchants that will sell it in bulk 1-2 litre tubs that are a lot cheaper than you would pay from a fishing tackle shop.

Thank you Joe, your reply has also explained whet CSL is, I wondered what it was when other posts mentioned CSL, the bell never rang.

My local (very local luckily for me) animal feed wholesaler, Maddox at Stockton on Tees, sells CSL and I'm pretty sure a quick google will sort you out.

Hi men ,

There are many places supplying CSL , but there are differences , active or not . These supply many of these company's , have a look .

I used the hydro wheat , lovely stuff , but all of their stuff is fantastic . If you want manageable amounts or specific flavoured versions then -

I have used switch bait , iv used their Evo hookbait system , and their liquids are fantastic . The liquids are active , ie you need to leave the lid undone slightly , but they have made user friendly versions .

Hatter

CSL has been largely forgotten about these days with all the hydrolyzed liquids about but I believe that its one of the best attractors for barbel and chub. Thin or thick, active or inactive, in actual real time testing on the bank it has made absolutely no difference - the fish love it no matter what!

Any one know what sort of SHELF LIFE CSL has ?

or does it just mature and better ??? I just found 5 liter `s of it in my bait store it smells and looks lovely ?

That would all depend on the storage conditions its kept in and whether its active or inactive. Kept cool (ideally in a fridge) it should last longer than stated.

its 5 litres from a bulk 200 litre drum so nothing stated as such I bought 10 litres and used half of it when I used to go to France 5 or 6 weeks of the year carp fishing its been kept sealed in a container for about 5 years but smells and looks the same as when I left it as there is lots of oil in it I guess ?

A little trick I used a few years ago when I was solely barbel focused was to use marmite

A tablespoon dissolved in hot water then drizzled over my pellets gave me great success at the time

It was also cheap and easy to store if you aren’t planning on using lots of the stuff

A little trick I used a few years ago when I was solely barbel focused was to use marmite

A tablespoon dissolved in hot water then drizzled over my pellets gave me great success at the time

It was also cheap and easy to store if you aren’t planning on using lots of the stuff
I have used Marmite for many years in my carp fishing dipping a bait in just before casting often has produced a run since the very early days 1967 when my mate Fred Wilton started using PYM (Phillips yeast mixture) in his high protein baits we realised fish loved it

Like it Stuart but then again I LOVE Marmite :p

Back