• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cormorants – Biodiversity in Danger

Adam Price

Hi All,

My colleague Trevor Harrop, and I co front the Avon Roach Project in Hampshire, which aims to reinstate a self-sustaining population of roach to the Avon and attempt to halt the decline that has persisted over the last three decades.

As an accompaniment to this we have been compelled to help form a coalition of interested parties, in a cohesive drive to do something about the biggest threat to our roach and indeed all other inland fish species, a foreign invasive species of cormorant from mainland Europe, named (carbo sinensis) whose numbers now stand at some 23,000 wintering individuals.

In January 2011 Defra announced a forthcoming review of the cormorant licensing system. So we are pleading for your help in lobbying, environment Minister, Richard Benyon, to have carbo sinensis placed on the General licence, providing river keepers and fishery owners, with an effective way of protecting their assets.

You can help us by signing our on-line petition at http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/cormorants-biodiversity-in-danger.html or by visiting us at http://www.avonroachproject.co.uk/ and following the cormorant link.

Together, we can create change, alone we don't have much hope, so please help.

Thank You

Budgie Price

I put pen to paper.......Ok i signed:) Good Luck.

The Chairman on Monday

Just a thought. Could we lump Coarse Anglers into this (or some future petition)?

Razing riparian vegetation for half an acre around, lopping off anything and everything that might spoil the view, digging out swims to house their blasted homes-from-home etc et blasted cetera - real and present dangers to biodiversity.

Just a thought.

As ever,

B.B.

PS - Cormorants? Remind me of the dark waves of Heinkels and Junkers long long before you chaps were born. We shot them down, you know.

I understand that some folks like cormorants as it is a close as they ever get to a shag.

Signed with pleasure!!

I shall also post this up on our VAC forum, that should be worth a few more!!

Avon Cormorants-Biodiversity In Danger

Hi All,

Ah, so this is where the adult anglers congregate. I'll be sure to come back now.

Thanks to everybody who signed the petition and have offered to spread the word, it's much appreciated.

Bit of cheek I know, but it would be great if you could continue to recruit your mates.

Cheers,

Adam Price (Budgie)

Signed.

While I'm on the subject of sea bird inland, I saw a great crested grebe fishing in the sea last week!

Back