• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cormorant Watch

From that email:
The Angling Trust has launched a new web site for you and your fishing friends to record sightings of cormorants, goosanders and mergansers throughout the UK: www.cormorantwatch.org

The new site is easy to use - it takes less than a minute to record your sighting.

Don't forget to bookmark www.cormorantwatch.org, keep your eyes peeled and come back every time you want to report a sighting.

The Angling Trust succeeded in persuading the Fisheries Minister Richard Benyon to carry out a review of the cormorant licensing procedure and he has stated that he is prepared to take "bold decisions". As part of this review, the Trust needs data on the abundance of cormorants to convince the government to take decisive action. So now it's your turn - go to www.cormorantwatch.org and make a difference.

Angling Trust Chief Executive Mark Lloyd commented "This is a moment when anglers need to stand up and be counted to persuade politicians to simplify licensing procedures and allow greater controls on cormorant numbers - a decision which could affect the future of fishing for the next generation. All anglers who see one of these birds in the next few months must make the effort to visit cormorantwatch.org and put a pin in the map, whether they are a member of the Angling Trust or not."

Thats a good insightful critique there Dave:D

Could be a good way of providing data to back up anglers view that comorants are a pest. Just needs anglers to use it.

I've forwarded the link to a couple of angling buddies.

I have a love/hate relationship with cormorants. I hate the way they leave the rivers roachless but I love the way those tench grow big after they have removed all the small fish from a lake!

As mention in John Levell's Avon diary on 12th June, this data already exists, http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2010/wcrcormo.shtml, surely the Angling Trust should look at how this data could be used now and not reinventing the wheel? It is also independent data, rather than being from anglers and open to accusations of bias, as we're looking to conserve our sport.

I know the Angling Trust have been criticised in the past for not doing anything, but I'm not sure this is the best use of resources, nor, given the apathy of most anglers towards actually doing anything to help the sport generally, is it likely to provide much evidence of the problem.

Back