• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Controversial river Colne record fish in Gallery.

Mark Swaby

A barbel over the river Colne (Middlesex) record has appeared in the gallery a couple of days ago . The photo is an old one that I seem to remember very controversial about 10 years ago. The fish was claimed from the Lower Thames originally and then others said it was a Colne fish. There were a lot of claims and accusations at the time and it all disappeared until now, its a very distinct fish. Does anyone remember or know the real story.

Last edited:
You've probably seen these snippets from FB Mark from years ago. Screenshot_2020-07-10-08-54-18.jpgScreenshot_2020-07-10-08-53-48.jpgScreenshot_2020-07-10-08-52-13.jpg

Only joined Facebook a couple of years ago and have not seen that until now so thanks Dave. But I have a memory like an Elephant and rarely forget something I see or hear. Just wondering why the photo was posted on our Colne gallery a couple of days ago,the fish has probably passed on now .

Yes. A recent AT picture showed a chub circa 6lb in my opinion from the middle Severn as 10lb.11.

This one is obviously very dubious so should be put in the bin

I remember this Mark. The photos I remember at the time looked like the moor below Bath Road's bit. I thought it was a Colne fish that he was trying to pass off as a Thames fish. And didn't he come on here and accuse the woman he was living with at the time of posting up the details and it was her that said was from the Thames. It was all a bit odd!

Back