• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Congratulations to Paul4 Whiteing!!

I know you left it till the end of the season Paul to let the cat out the bag but did you have second thoughts about publicising it/keeping it totally secret?

Absolutely did have second thoughts, again and again and again. I didn't ever publicise a previous decent fish (16+ but different stretch) a couple of years back. Have often had, over the years, discussions with pals as to whether we would keep secret, the consensus was always yes. But in this case decided to go against previous thoughts, in agreement with my pals I have to add, and yes to wait until the end of the season was the plan IF I decided to break silence. It's a small river and I'd hate the circus to arrive, but it's also a hard river and once people blank a few times without a bite they realise it's hard and mostly we don't see them again.

That fish will stick in your memory forever Paul , well done

I'll write an account at some time, but my memory sure will include the fish of course; plus the number 6 in the ar#e of my trousers requiring a knife to free me; plus the broken landing net arm which made it hairy to land in the flow.

Hi men ,

Good work mate , its a lump , and deserved .

Jason , with the state of barbel fishing at the mo im glad this came out in the end , lovely little river that Sue loved .

Hatter

I'll second that. Very well done Paul.
Paul,

Your ethics are admirable it's a great pity they are not evident in too many anglers! I agreed with your early decision to 'keep-mum' to the wider fraternity and consider all aspects of publisising, before revealing all to all. Your true pals supported your views and totally agreed with your final decision, as it laid the 'ghost' of 'the previous record' and set the record straight. Pleased to have an association with one of the good guys, Awrabest, Mike.

its good that people do publicise there captures, if all anglers took the view of keeping everything secret, there would be no newcomers, clubs would struggle and waters would be left un fished and left to the mercy of everything else. angling is full of bad news for small rivers particularly in the south so its good to see fish like this are still about.

Hi men,
The real tight lips are pike anglers , as any pressure on them seems to slow things down. As Jason said its hard to see how younger anglers can be atracted to the smaller rivers .

Hatter

Congratulations Paul.

As you know I fish some of the same stretches as you and I know how hard it can be just get a bite, let alone land a fish of a lifetime like this.

Makes all those blanks worth it.

Back