• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Compact Camera

Steve Stratton

Does anyone know of a compact camera that has a self timer that is longer than 10 seconds? I struggle to get good photos sorted in such a short amount of time.

I've just been bought a Nikon Coolpix S6600. Although the timer max is 10 secs.,it does have a flip round screen and shots can be triggered using a hand gesture (no jokes I'm being serious) which is fine with small fish so I'm considering getting a bulb air release system for it,which should be ideal for my rare catches.

Pete.

Canon A620 has a brilliant custom feature where you can delay on the selftimer for up to 30 seconds and you can alter the amount of pictures it will take, up to 10, If I remember correctly.

Not only that, you've got a flip-round screen so you can see yourself.

I think the A630 and the A650 has the same features.

Hope that helps

Duncan.

Last edited:
Steve

I posted this a couple of years ago so the exact model (which I still use) may no longer be available but I bet you can get a similar newer version;)

"I posted a similar enquiry on the Ringwood site in the search for a camera with a good remote system ended up going back to a simple but good quality compact that has a very good and easily set self timer in the shape of the Canon IXUS 85 IS 10 MP. My problem like most anglers was that most digital cameras have a set timer of about 10 sec ish. The Canon I mention has a very easily programmable and operated self take which can be set to take after 10-30 secs and will take multiple shots with 2 sec intervals! I just take a test shot and then leave it set up! If I am lucky enough to get a fish worth a photo one push of a button gives me plenty of time to sort the fish out and get a couple of lovely shots! The other bonus was the price £140!!"

Hope that helps mate:)

Last edited:
Spot on that keith.my wife bought the Ixus 95 which cost about the same.brill little camera like you say.i was stupid and paid £400 for a canon dslr which I hardly use because of the weight.it is always best to handle a few before buying.you are never happy afterwards if the balance is not right.
Albert

only a 10 sec timer , but ............

small, light weight , a front facing LCD to help frame up the shots , then the option to take 2 shots on the 1 timed process .. cheap as chips too , samsung PL120 , paid £40 ish for mine from ebay

i have nothing to do with the sale before anybody says anything , just an example .....Samsung PL120.14.2mp.(Mirror Chrome) Dual screen. Good condition, really nice 8806071283296 | eBay

a perfect fishing camera in my book , especially for the price

Some of the later canon ixus models have face recognition coupled with multiple shots at intervals. The only probelm is at night you have to illuminate yourself for a second or two so the camera sees you, but other than that it is great for selfshots.

I have a canon G7 with flip view finder but I went and got me a Samsung camera for my hols and I can use my phone as my view finder and they take some great photos

Air release cable and bracket all the way! No guesssing when the shutter will open and you can take several snaps at intervals without having to return to the camera. IMO better than a remote control that may be seen in the picture.

I have a canon G7 with flip view finder but I went and got me a Samsung camera for my hols and I can use my phone as my view finder and they take some great photos

G7 did not have a flip screen?

I recently updated my Canon G6 which was very outdated. I plumped for the Canon SX500IS. I am very impressed with it. It has up to a 30 sec delay timer and a varying number of shots can be taken.

I did a review of this camera which can be seen here if you are interested:

Canon SX500IS

Was on offer at Argos with £100 off the normal price.

That is no dunces review Nathan.it is good to have these sensible reports on things ,saves some of us getting our feet wet.it is one for the notebook
Albert

Re the GoPRo3+ I am interested in one but whats low light filming, pictures like? if anyone has one I would appreciated feedback.

Cheers

Brian

Air release cable and bracket all the way! No guesssing when the shutter will open and you can take several snaps at intervals without having to return to the camera. IMO better than a remote control that may be seen in the picture.

Being a bit of a dunce when it comes to cameras,..is this what you mean Anthony?
Firstcall Cable Release Adaptor Bracket for Compact Cameras
I have an slr camera but find it to bulky to lug around and was also looking to buy a compact.
It seems there is so much choice, and having spent hours looking at the options I'm still no closer to finding something suitable. I have a budget of about £250 and have been trying to match a nice bright oled screen that flips out and takes good low light pics, or 'smart' wireless compacts that I can download an ap and use my samsung phone as a veiwfinder.
The ability to have control from a distance is a must.
The Gopro is a little bit pricey and seems to appeal to mountain bikers who
like to film downhill desents and the like. I'm not sure about the Gopro+, but some of the earlier models didn't have a flash.
Some of the new compacts have touch screen so I wonder if the air release cable would still work? I guess they would still retain a shutter button though.
Interesting to know what others use given the constant technical updates available.

Happy new year to all by the way.

Last edited:
Dave, that's the one. If you dobuy a compact and decide to go with the bracket, buy the one that works with an SLR rather than for a compact camera (I read this on another fishing site many moons ago). The former works with both.

In the dark you can't see a flip-screen unless you are illuminated in some way, but with alittle practice you soon realise where the camera and more importantly, you and the fish need to be to get the trophy shot.

Back